GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Truck nonZ71

Just bought a 2011 Silverado crew cab that is 4x4, but not Z71. I really wanted the Z71 package, but couldn't refuse the great deal I got on this truck.

Just wondering if there is any significant difference between the two? If so, is it possible for a Z71 conversion, or would that just be a waste of time. I think the Z71 decal dresses it up and looks damn good, but I would never throw a sticker on there if its not a true Z71.

I don't do any extreme off roading, but I do get off the paved road quite often at the farm. I just want to be reassured that my truck will be able to handle some offroading if I need it to.

I believe that the differences are: Bilstein Shocks, Skid plates, a locking rear diff. I have heard that the Z-71 also has jounce bumpers over the rear axle, I can not confirm this. I believe that for some years Z-71 also came with paint matched bumpers. I could be wrong, but I think that that is all.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

From the GM website this is what your missing:

Z71® Appearance Package

The Z71® Appearance Package, available on Extended Cab Standard Box and Crew Cab™ Short Box models, includes body-color front bumper lower and center sections with body-color end caps, a body-color grille with chrome insert, unique Z71 decals, bright door sill plates, chrome recovery hooks, body-color outside mirrors and door handles and fog lamps. 18" aluminum wheels and 18" tires and front and rear Rancho® shocks raise the Z71 performance level even higher.

On LT models, requires Extended Cab Standard Box or Crew Cab models, Trailering Package and Z71 Off-Road Suspension Package. Tires may be upgraded to on-off road tires. Not available with exterior colors Imperial Blue Metallic, Blue Granite Metallic or Black Granite Metallic.

On LTZ models, requires Extended Cab Standard Box or Crew Cab models and Z71 Off-Road Suspension Package. Tires may be upgraded to on-off road tires. Not available with exterior colors Imperial Blue Metallic, Blue Granite Metallic or Black Granite Metallic.

Adds the following options: Z71® Off-Road Suspension Package18" x 8" aluminum wheelsP265/65R18 on-/off-road blackwall tires -Air cleaner, high-capacityHeavy-Duty Cooling Package -Recovery hooks, front, chromeSkid Plate Package -Grille, body-colored with unique chrome insert

All for the low low price of $1295, each owner has their own differing opinion on the value of this package but for me personally I dont feel its worth the price.
    The items I would add that are on this package cost far less that $1295.

I've heard the new Z71 packages are a bit less effective. I just wanted to reassure myself that my 4x4 will be able to adequately handle some off roading if I need it to. I will probably eventually upgrade shocks and possibly other areas, but I'm more focused on this down payment and monthly car payments that will soon be raping my wallet!

G 80 is the RPO for locking diff. G80 has rarely been in a Z71 package so check you RPO's

[QUOTE=tbplus10;470304]From the GM website this is what your missing:

Z71® Appearance Package

The Z71® Appearance Package, available on Extended Cab Standard Box and Crew Cab™ Short Box models, includes body-color front bumper lower and center sections with body-color end caps, a body-color grille with chrome insert, unique Z71 decals, bright door sill plates, chrome recovery hooks, body-color outside mirrors and door handles and fog lamps. 18" aluminum wheels and 18" tires and front and rear Rancho® shocks raise the Z71 performance level even higher.

On LT models, requires Extended Cab Standard Box or Crew Cab models, Trailering Package and Z71 Off-Road Suspension Package. Tires may be upgraded to on-off road tires. Not available with exterior colors Imperial Blue Metallic, Blue Granite Metallic or Black Granite Metallic.

On LTZ models, requires Extended Cab Standard Box or Crew Cab models and Z71 Off-Road Suspension Package. Tires may be upgraded to on-off road tires. Not available with exterior colors Imperial Blue Metallic, Blue Granite Metallic or Black Granite Metallic.

Adds the following options: Z71® Off-Road Suspension Package18" x 8" aluminum wheelsP265/65R18 on-/off-road blackwall tires -Air cleaner, high-capacityHeavy-Duty Cooling Package -Recovery hooks, front, chromeSkid Plate Package -Grille, body-colored with unique chrome insert

All for the low low price of $1295, each owner has their own differing opinion on the value of this package but for me personally I dont feel its worth the price.
    The items I would add that are on this package cost far less that $1295.[/QUOTEGood post of Information
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Yes the G80 is a locking diff, for 2011 if you bought a Texas Edition, Nevada Edition, or All Star package the G80 was part of the package.
    For 2012 it looks like they dropped the Nevada edition and added a Florida edition and a Custom Sport Truck package, but none of the packages, Texas, Florida or Sport Truck have the G80
    Only the Max Trailering package and the All Star package have the G80 as part of the package.
    On the Chevy website it says the G80 can only be added as part of the above two packages and has it priced at $395, if you select it as an option the software automatically makes you select one of those two packages to complete the order.

There is also a Z71® Off-Road Suspension Package for $295

Z71® Off-Road Suspension Package

Whether youre maneuvering around a construction site or heading for some mud-slinging, off-road recreation, the legendary Z71® Off-Road Package lets your Silverado® take it in stride. It includes 46mm high-pressure gas-charged shocks, a 36mm front stabilizer bar and off-road jounce bumpers to absorb large suspension inputs. When youre really into the deep stuff, the included Skid Plate Package is there to protect the truck undercarriage from rocks and debris. This package also includes an off-road air cleaner, front recovery hooks and Z71 decals on the rear quarter panels to let everyone know your pickup is up to the challenge.

On Regular Cab LT models, requires the available Trailering Package. On all LT models, not available with Vortec® 4.8L V8 SFI engine and requires available on-/off-road tires or all-terrain tires and 17" or 18" aluminum wheels.

LTZ models require on-/off-road tires and 18" aluminum wheels.

And oddly enough it doesnt have the G80 as part of the package either.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyBouron View Post
    I've heard the new Z71 packages are a bit less effective. I just wanted to reassure myself that my 4x4 will be able to adequately handle some off roading if I need it to. I will probably eventually upgrade shocks and possibly other areas, but I'm more focused on this down payment and monthly car payments that will soon be raping my wallet!

As a quick answer, yes your truck will be able to handle the majority of whatever you might get yourself into. Look up your RPO codes and find out what came with your truck. Mine is a 2009 4x4 without the Z71 package and I didn't get it initially for the same reason as you. I got a really good deal on the truck and fell in love with it. As I've learned more, I have no regrets whatsoever about not getting the Z71. I have the recovery hooks, mine is an LTZ so has the color matched lower, etc.. I also have the G80. The only things I really seem to be missing from the package are the shocks and skid plate. That's not an issue for me since I'll be upgrading the shocks when I lift it and I'll be getting a 1/4" steel skid plate at the same time.

I've taken my truck some places a truck that size really shouldn't go and never had any issues. (There are a few pictures in my album of one trip. There were other places that would have had better picture qualities, but there was no way to get out of the truck in those spots.)

We also had a really bad ice storm this last winter in Seattle that fell trees all over. I used the truck to pull trees out of the way and even drove over a couple that weren't worth pulling. If you get into any offroading your truck as it sits now can't handle, you'll likely need mods beyond what the Z71 would give you anyway.

All of the above is obviously just my personal opinion but is based on my personal experience with a similar truck, so I hope it helps.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

I had an old S10 4x4 that went anywhere a z71 goes. Just could not haul as much as the bigger truck. But for just off roading I'd say any 4x4 would work fine.
    2012 Silver Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab LT 6.2L 400+hp, Hypertech, K&N CAI, tent, AVS
    2012 Black Harley Davidson Fat Bob 103 engine, Willie G
    2011 Silver Infiniti QX56, 400+hp
    2009 Lime Green Kawasaki KFX 450, Moose armor, GNCC
    2007 Red Polaris 500 X2
    2009 Lime Green Kawasaki Ninja 250
    PAST VEHICLES
    2009 Infiniti G37X, Stillen CAI, Magnaflow, 2007 Infiniti 370GT, 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z82 Crew Cab LTZ AMerican Luxury Coach conversion, Fabtech lift, 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ old body style, 2008 Nissan Armada, 2003 Yamaha YZFR1, 2007 Honda VTX 1800, 1993 Chevy S-10 over 350,000 miles on orig motor and trans