GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 99 GMC Z71 Stepside wanna run 35s

Ok gang listen up, I just got this truck given to me for FREE, its in great condition, so I thought I would lift it, I would like to run 35s, any help comments and input would be great, thanks.....

6" lift + leveling kit and some minor trimming will get you there. 20's are fine if it's a street-only truck; 18's are better if you off-road it. You can do 17's, as well (which will result in cheaper tires/wheels), but do so only if you're sure you don't want to put a big brake kit on the truck, as you can't squeeze one under 17's. (Minimum requirement is usually 18's.)

Don't forget that when you lift a truck you muck with the entire system. Your brake lines will be longer so you'll want stainless steel lines to restore lost pedal feel. Your gear ratios will be out of whack relative to the big tires you have to churn to get going, so you'll want to regear for both fuel economy and avoiding increased transmission wear (from gear hunting on inclines). You'll want a tuner to correct your speedo error and to set your gear ratios properly when you regear ... and ideally you'll want a custom tune to go with it for fuel econ reasons. Bigger diameter tires mean fewer tire rotations across a given distance (which is less revolutions in which brakes can do their jobs), so you'll want to think about brake upgrades.

You get the idea.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 05-11-2012 at 03:25 PM.

X2 ^ That man is a genius

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    X2 ^ That man is a genius
    agreed.

except for the mention of 20's
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

My stock brakes will send me almost through the windshield with 35's. I suppose in constant braking down long hills or off roading may cause fatigue, Im happy with how my ride stops.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Thanks I appreciate it. Here in Hawaii we are blessed with great sunshine and HIGH prices. The things I have found online are great, but here on the island, they are hella expensive, oh well that is the cost of living in paradise right.

Just got back from 4 Wheel Parts and here is what I went with, let me know your thoughts guys.... ProComp 6in lift, Moto Metal 961 series rims in 18x10, with Toyo Open Country M/T 33x12.50.... UNFORTUNATELY I have to wait 3 weeks for delivery here to Oahu......

Quote Originally Posted by bribush75 View Post
    Just got back from 4 Wheel Parts and here is what I went with, let me know your thoughts guys.... ProComp 6in lift, Moto Metal 961 series rims in 18x10, with Toyo Open Country M/T 33x12.50.... UNFORTUNATELY I have to wait 3 weeks for delivery here to Oahu......
    Nice wheel size, lift and tires -- though I thought you were after 35's?

I can't comment on the wheels' looks because you don't have any albums with pics in them so I have no idea how they might look with your truck. Ultimately, though, what matters is if YOU are pleased with the selection.

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    agreed.
    except for the mention of 20's
    ROFL! Hey, I don't like 20's either, but some people do and I try to be accommodating. (The operative word is 'try'.) However, I'll mock someone ruthlessly for 22's and larger...
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 05-12-2012 at 10:59 PM.