GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Exclamation The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Questions often arise regarding use of aftermarket parts like exhaust, suspension, engine etc. and how GM (or other mfgs.) warranty their vehicles. Here is the Federal law that governs manufacturers warranties.
    Federal Warranty Laws

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
    This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
    No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
    2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
    The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. Theproduction warrantyrequires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. Theperformance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.
    Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
    So don't hold back on modifications to your new vehicle fearing that GM will void your warranty. Mods away!
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Legend

That is music to my ears.... But I still gotta swing by the dealership for a little more reasurance. But I think I'll be printing that out.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

Good thread to bump

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

so a lift kit wont void my warranty?

Blog Entries

My GM service guy told me when asking that same question was that they will not warranty any parts directly effected by my lift like if I had a hub go bad, it would not be covered. But, if I had something go wrong like my A/C was not working, my lift did not attribute to that problem so it would be covered.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

how about a leveling kit?

sorry for all the Q's just trying to figure out what im going to do with my 08 ext cab

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    My GM service guy told me when asking that same question was that they will not warranty any parts directly effected by my lift like if I had a hub go bad, it would not be covered. But, if I had something go wrong like my A/C was not working, my lift did not attribute to that problem so it would be covered.
    Although that may be true in theory, i had a completely different experience. I had a six inch suspension lift on my 1995 silverado. With 15,000 miles on it I leaned back to open the sliding back window. The seat frame snapped and gave me a instant rocking chair. (I weighed 110lbs at the time) I took it to the dealer that I purchased it at. They kept it for 2 days and called telling me that they had put a "blanket" on my warranty and that no repairs for the truck would be covered, ever, due to the lift kit. So, I put a C-clamp on the seat frame and drove it around for 6 months like that. Then one day the shift solenoid went out and it was stuck in second gear. My father, who works at the GM tech center, was walking passed the president of GM trucks in the hallway the next day and stopped him. He told him about my seat issue and the trans issue. The president made a call on his cell phone and told my dad which dealer to go to the next day. From that day on everything was covered. (including my extended power train warranty). The original dealer lost their GM dealership and a Chrysler dealership during the bailout restructuring. I believe that it all depends on the dealer and how they want to deal with a situation. Some can just fix the issue and not say anything to GM, while others report everything. Lets say your waterpump goes out at 26,000 miles and you are still under warranty, but you have a tune. I do not understand why a dealer would make a issue about that. Just fix the pump under warranty (they still get paid) and let the customer go.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)