GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z71 Max View Post
    Its a wonder you never got hurt or killed. An elevator is a very dangerous piece of machinery if you don't know what your are doing. There has been many instances of college students getting killed from doing what you are describing. Think of it has playing in traffic. Eventually the outcome is not going to be pretty.
    Those days are long ago and far away. In the fire service, we had to take an "elevator safety" course. With all of the time I spent playing with them years ago, I had pretty much already figured out all that the instructor talked about.

It all started for me by pulling the doors open while the elevator was moving and seeing the brick wall between the floors. Then I figured out how to make a "key" to pop the doors without the car being present and looking into the shaft. It was kind of creepy in a "Drain in the bottom of the pool" sort of way. I did always treat the machinery with respect, however... Nothing worse than being chopped in half by a speeding elevator car coming down while you have your head in there looking down the shaft... which shouldn't happen if the safety interlocks on the outer doors are working properly.

When I worked at G105 in Raleigh, the power was cut to the 14 story building. We rode the elevators until the batteries went weak. I had the sense to get out but several guys kept riding until they depleted the batteries. The power was out for 9 hours after that, so they were pretty miserable when the power came back up. LOL!

Just the same... Cool business you work in. Did you catch the recent CSI where the power went out and the elevator immediately stopped in it's tracks?

(Not to hijack the thread or anything... Sorry about that.)
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z71 Max View Post
    There is no mistaking the smell of a burned up electronic part. Once you get that smell in your nose, it is difficult to get rid of it.
    It has a bouquet of fresh ozone with undertones of scorched silicon ... and a hint of melted plenum. The mid palate and finish could be very, very different depending on the vintage of the wiring connected to the part.

This thread has helped me make my mind up about a tuner. I was going to get a diablo tuner as soon a the budget would allow. But now I think I will wait til my warranty runs out. Me personally, I don't want the hassel of fighting with a dealer if something was to go wrong. I think I will discuss it with my dealer just to test the waters.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

As far as I know no. I installed smog legal headers on mine but haven't changed out the rest of my exhaust. he truck sounds loud enough now as I also installed a K&N cold air box so the intake is loud.

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    My GM service guy told me when asking that same question was that they will not warranty any parts directly effected by my lift like if I had a hub go bad, it would not be covered. But, if I had something go wrong like my A/C was not working, my lift did not attribute to that problem so it would be covered.
    Although that may be true in theory, i had a completely different experience. I had a six inch suspension lift on my 1995 silverado. With 15,000 miles on it I leaned back to open the sliding back window. The seat frame snapped and gave me a instant rocking chair. (I weighed 110lbs at the time) I took it to the dealer that I purchased it at. They kept it for 2 days and called telling me that they had put a "blanket" on my warranty and that no repairs for the truck would be covered, ever, due to the lift kit. So, I put a C-clamp on the seat frame and drove it around for 6 months like that. Then one day the shift solenoid went out and it was stuck in second gear. My father, who works at the GM tech center, was walking passed the president of GM trucks in the hallway the next day and stopped him. He told him about my seat issue and the trans issue. The president made a call on his cell phone and told my dad which dealer to go to the next day. From that day on everything was covered. (including my extended power train warranty). The original dealer lost their GM dealership and a Chrysler dealership during the bailout restructuring. I believe that it all depends on the dealer and how they want to deal with a situation. Some can just fix the issue and not say anything to GM, while others report everything. Lets say your waterpump goes out at 26,000 miles and you are still under warranty, but you have a tune. I do not understand why a dealer would make a issue about that. Just fix the pump under warranty (they still get paid) and let the customer go.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Most of the problems with a dealership covering warranty repairs comes from the manufacturers auditing, dealerships themselves have the authority to cover any repair they want to make under warranty, but when it comes time for reimbursement from the mfg they have to prove the repair was covered and their were no extenuating circumstances that could have led to the repair issue.
    So many dealerships take the easy way out for them and deny warranty coverage, easier to tell a customer no and give them a half baked excuse why their no longer covered than it is to attempt to fight the mfg who holds the fate of your dealership in their hands, which is why the Magnussen Moss Warranty act was created, with creation of this act consumers no longer had to foot the bill for a lawyer to fight for the rights they were promised but were not being honored, many times if you take an issue to arbitration unless your really to blame for the issue you will win, the problem is many people get frustrated with the system and give in to early allowing the Dealer/Mfg to win.

ive been going back on forth on a tuner for my truck for this very reason, warrenty issues. called my dealer yesterday and the service guy said he didnt blame me a bit for wanting the better mpg and such, but to beware the fact it could come back and bite me in the rear. and now i see trinitys are on sale thru autoanything. grrrr......

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Looking at this from a slightly different angle. If on wants to modlfy the ECM to make up for some of the factory settings, you need to be somewhat discrete. Case in point. My Detroit Diesel Series 60 (factory rebuilt) came with EPA '98 emissions settings in the ECM. Most all familiar with this engine, know that these settings seriously eroded the mpg capabilities of the Series 60. Now, I bought this engine last year and put it in a 2013 Freightliner glider truck. After running it for about 20,000 miles, we went into the ECM and tweaked the settings to essentially get around the EPA '98 settings. Gave me roughly 15% better mpg figures, better pulling power, etc. Now this engine came with a 300,000 mile warranty. We did it at 20,000 miles. It has since been in the shop for top end adjustments, etc and no one has figured out anything. The problem with most of the aftermarket tuners sold commercially, is that they replace code and make very pronounced modifications to the ECM. IF they would be more stealthy about how they do things, no one at a dealership would be able to tell anything.

With my 2013 Siverado, I jsut wanted to get around the AFM function. That was an easy call. I ordered the Range Module before I even got the pickup home. So, since mile 251 on the odometer, the AFM has been overridden. And the dealer doesn't know squat.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

Speaking of warranty non warranty issues, care to see whats going on with your own vehicle in terms of recalls, investigations,complaints and service bullentins, follow the link, enter your vehicle year make and model, a little woulda coulda shoulda. http://www.nitrofill.com/contentView...ecalls&param=0 ( not associated with this company, I do use the product in my vehicles. So I am not promoting anything, other than offering information to those interested.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345