GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Questions often arise regarding use of aftermarket parts like exhaust, suspension, engine etc. and how GM (or other mfgs.) warranty their vehicles. Here is the Federal law that governs manufacturers warranties.
    Federal Warranty Laws

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
    This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
    No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
    2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
    The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. Theproduction warrantyrequires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. Theperformance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.
    Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
    So don't hold back on modifications to your new vehicle fearing that GM will void your warranty. Mods away!
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Legend

That is music to my ears.... But I still gotta swing by the dealership for a little more reasurance. But I think I'll be printing that out.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

Good thread to bump

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

so a lift kit wont void my warranty?

Blog Entries

My GM service guy told me when asking that same question was that they will not warranty any parts directly effected by my lift like if I had a hub go bad, it would not be covered. But, if I had something go wrong like my A/C was not working, my lift did not attribute to that problem so it would be covered.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

how about a leveling kit?

sorry for all the Q's just trying to figure out what im going to do with my 08 ext cab

Blog Entries

Everything would still be under warranty except for the parts directly effected by the leveling kit. Do what I did and go talk to the guys in the service department and they can answer your questions. My service guy even said programmers are great but be sure to set it to the stock tune before bringing it in for service in case they need to update your ECM. He refered to a guy that his ECM locked up because he had some kind of tune in it when he brought it in for service and it cast him $1500 for a new one.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Blog Entries

*BUMP* for people that are worried about voiding their factory warranty.
    Darcy
    Washington State

Jr. Mechanic

wow kind of nice to read these things but that all goes back to your dealer i would think. Some of those guys can just be straight pricks when it comes to warranty stuff.
    My first Chevy :great:
    2005 Silverado 1500 ECSB Z71 5.3L:
    3'' Aero Turbine exhaust with side dump
    6000k HID's Highs, lows and fogs with H-4 mod
    Rough Country Full Leveling Kit
    285/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T's
    Dick Cepek DC1
    EFI Live
    more to come..

so if i crank up my torsion keys but uncrank them when i go to the dealership i will be fine

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast