GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Custom sub box

Default Custom sub box

Hey guys building a custom sub box for my alpines to go under my seats and was looking a putting plexi windows in the front to show the subs and was wondering how thick of plexiglass ill need.
    Im also going to have alpine cut out on the frint part of the amp stand and was wondering what isthe best way to put plexiglass over it so i can keep the box air tight

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

1/2 in should be fine..Are you going to light it up in there?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Im hoping to but im worried the lights wont be able to handle it and what kind i should try in there. Whats the best way to wire them up once its in there aswell. Do anyone ao know the best way to install the glass this will be my fridg time trying it likethis
    Last edited by Burden33; 05-13-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |

Chevy Ridin' High

Legend

How thick of wood are you going to use? On the side with the Plexi I would use a 3/4 MDF and frame the Plaxi around it. CAREFULLY Predrill the holes in the plexi, Use a good sealer Place the Plexi into the frame then screw in the nice screws. Place a LED strip on the inside top or bottom so it shines towards the subs. Run the wire along the side of the box so it's not seen and out the back. Be sure to use a connector incase you need to remave the box and SEAL the opening where the wire comes out..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I was planning on useing 3/4 mdf for the whole box. So ill use a router and cut the mdf down 1/2 inch where the plexii glass is and then seal it in and have the holes pre drilled into the plexi and drill it correct

Chevy Ridin' High

Legend

Sounds good to me.. Make sure you have the right air space for the subs too....And post pics..

i was also reading online that people say to run lexan or up the plexi to 3/4 for flex when the sub hits it low bass notes. im also going to spray it in rubberized coating instead of carpeting the box

Chevy Ridin' High

Quote Originally Posted by Burden33 View Post
    i was also reading online that people say to run lexan or up the plexi to 3/4 for flex when the sub hits it low bass notes. im also going to spray it in rubberized coating instead of carpeting the box
    You probably wont have to worry about flex to much. Have you priced the plexi yet? I used 3/4 on my box and it was pretty pricey. I like boxes covered in the rubber coating...I had mine done in Line X only because its in the bed of the truck and I dont have to worry about it when I wash the truck.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

I havnt prce it yet but im hopinh to this week and im goingto price 1/2 inch of lexan aswell. The plan was to pick up cans of rubber coating and spray that over the box

Chevy Ridin' High

Quick question and i do windows in the sub box if i do a sealed over ported

Chevy Ridin' High