GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Question & Answer Section (like Yahoo! Answers)???

There is a new module I've been looking and (and wanting for a long time) that gives a lot of the features of Yahoo! Answers. Anyone interested in helping try it out?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I'd be interested in contributing. I doubt I'll have too many questions to ask to something like that but I'll try to contribute.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

I've never used Yahoo! Answers. (I don't use Yahoo.) What's the goal of the application? FAQ creation or somesuch?

type almost any question on Google and one of the top ten listings will be on Yahoo answers. Its a very quick and easy way to ask a question, and then everyone gets to vote on the top answers and they get ranked. So, the benefit is that its just answers to the question at hand, all of the chit-chat is cut down and users "vote" what is the most relevant.
    Last edited by Steve; 05-13-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Willing tester here
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    type almost any question on Google and one of the top ten listings will be on Yahoo answers. Its a very quick and easy way to ask a question, and then everyone gets to vote on the top answers and they get ranked. So, the benefit is that its just answers to the question at hand, all of the chit-chat is cut down and users "vote" what is the most relevant.
    I'd have tagged your name but I worry the tag to it is still FUBAR, so I quoted, instead. Thanks for the explanation. I'm about to think 'aloud' so bear with me, as this is stream of consciousness.

It seems to me that you'd need to create a lot of content .... potentially even copying existing content into this from, say, the How-To section. I think that'll be your bottleneck, as content creation takes time and is arduous. Worse, if you are copying content into it from the How-To section you'd need to remove it from that section to avoid duplicitous information ... and that might hurt your Google rankings unless you also have some kind of plan to do a 301 redirect from the old How-To to the new location.

Thinking out of the box, wouldn't it be wiser to have a sort option based on a thread's star rankings ... so people could sort on it to see what's most relevant? (Edit: There's be no need for content creation, content copying, or 301's with this approach.) Similarly, have you done an analysis of your star rankings to see if people tend to vote/rank things, here? I'm betting they don't...

Food for thought...

I would be willing to test it out also!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)