GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default All terrain tires

Hi all, I'm new here. I have an 09 silverado with the 5.3L v8 in it. I'm wanting to put all terrain tires on my truck to give it a more aggressive look as well as be an aid when I'm in the woods. So, my question is this, how badly will my gas mileage be affected by going from the factory 275/55/20 street tires to the same size but using the nitto terra grapplers instead. If it's not a terrible drop I had considered going with a more aggressive look and going with 275/70/18, but I know that that size is 33" tall compared to the factory 31.9. Any idea on how badly the gas mileage will be affected with this setup also?

Thanks

Jr. Mechanic

I have an 04 2500HD. I went from OEM tires to Wild Country MTX Mud Terrain tires. I lost 1.5 MPG. Doesn't sound like much but it was about a 10% drop.

Edit: I went up one size from stock.
    Last edited by paracutin; 05-14-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

When you upsize tires significantly from OEM primary or alternate sizes expect to lose 1-3 MPG. 33 or larger inch tires are big and heavy ... and you have to get those suckers rolling and keep them rolling. Unless you regear to match the new size (to a close approximation of what you had, RPM-wise, at certain speeds on your stock tires and gears) you're going to lose MPG because you downshift to ascend mild inclines where you didn't have to, before. You're also taller so you've got more air resistance.

You can get an electronic tuner and use a stock tune on it to recover some of this. You can recover a bit more of it with a custom tune via the tuner. In addition to a tuner it'll take intake/exhaust work and the regear I mentioned to recover the lion's share of what you lose from lifts and upsized tires.

Surreal

P.S. You'll also want a tuner to correct the speedo error you'll induce by going with larger tires.

My stock tires are 245/70R17 and I have on there right now 265/70R17 Wrangler AT/S. I like them and they look good. My speedometer is off a little bit but knowing that, it isn’t too bad. My MPG is about 14-15. If that is what you like and it cost you an extra gallon a week. Is it worth it to you? To me yes...
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

I went from a 265/65 18 (31.6" dia) stock to a 270/70 18 (33.16" dia). I noticed an immediate drop of about 2 mpg in fuel economy, and my speedo is off by over 3 mph. I called my dealership but they cant reprogram it for anything above stock size tires, so I'm kinda stuck. There may be a few more factors that are affecting my mpg; for instance, I went with a heavy 10-ply tire (mistake) and I only have a 4.8L which I will never have again because I feel it is under powered. But in the long run, I don't really drive many miles a week so it doesn't hit my billfold too much unless I travel on the interstate or tow my trailer around town. If I were you, I would probably base my decision on how much you currently drive and how much a little less mpg would effect you. Good luck on your decision!

2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab, 5.3L V8, 15% Tint, Black bowties

Sr. Mechanic

Look at the Nitto Cross Terrains. I just had them installed and they are the only tire I have ever purchased that lives up to the hype. They are more agressive, I would say a hybrid tire.

going from highway tread to an all terrain will drop it a little and then expect even bigger drop if you get more towards a mud terrain.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
    Look at the Nitto Cross Terrains. I just had them installed and they are the only tire I have ever purchased that lives up to the hype. They are more agressive, I would say a hybrid tire.
    Did you mean Michelin cross terrain? I don't see these on the nitto website.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Sr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    Did you mean Michelin cross terrain? I don't see these on the nitto website.
    I'm sorry - should have said Nitto Cross Tek.

Quote Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
    I'm sorry - should have said Nitto Cross Tek.
    Those aren't to bad... not as aggressive as the Terra grapplers. Looks like a tighter tread design... should give decent wear.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by