GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Legend


    Enkeiavalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....
    Posts
    5,321

    Default

    This should help you...http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/caf...c,14932.0.html And Welcome If you can please make a post and tell us all about you and your truck..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

  2. #12

    Default

    @Enkeiavalanche, do you know if the 02 Avalanche has the same wiring as the 99-02 Silvys? I ask because @nakranij has done the mod on his Silvy (which is in that model year range) and might be able to provide photos or answer questions since the link you provided has missing photos.

    I can't be of help unless the 02 Avalanche's wiring is the same as an 03-07 (classic) Silvy's ... which seems unlikely.

  3. #13
    Legend


    Enkeiavalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....
    Posts
    5,321

    Default

    Hold on Making a new post.. But the 02 is different then the 03-06
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

  4. #14
    Legend
    TRPLXL2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    3,359
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Maybe it's the pictures I don't know, but they all look the same. I have never run Sylvania or philips, but this really didn't impress me. Nothing against your review, but the pics speak for themselves. I will stick with my PIAA's, still running after 6 years.

  5. #15

    Default

    from what I understand the 2002 is different than the 2003. Here is a link for the 2002. It is all pictures. If you click the white link at the top of that page you will find the written instructions. http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/daytimemod.htm

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  6. #16

    Default

    I wanted to do this but was concerned about permanently cutting any wires I was not 100% sure about so I ended up not doing this mod to my truck.

    It is a good thing too, because I went with HID's in my low and high beams, and if they are both on at the same time, I might get pulled......

    The HID's provide a much better light than any of the halogen bulbs.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    The HID's provide a much better light than any of the halogen bulbs.
    Having now run both halogens and HIDs in my truck I must disagree with the use of the word 'better' as the light's not better, it's just a different colour temperature.

    Better indicates superior ... and when you drive through a fog bank with nothing but 5000K HIDs ... trust me, it's inferior to 3600-4200K halogens. At early dawn or early dusk conditions the yellower light of halogens is also superior. Driving in the country I've also found that old road signs and old road paint are less reflective with 5000K HID light than with yellower 3600-4200K halogen light. (This seems to be true only of older road signs and road paint; the new signs and paint are about the same. ZA standard must have changed or something, as the new signs seem to use a different material or have a different spec for reflectivity.)

    I've not done wet conditions with HIDs so I can't compare the light reflectivity off wet asphalt surfaces, yet, but I'm betting the halogens win there. So far 5000K HIDs seem to be best on clear nights and newly worked roads (with new signage). Oh, and deer eyes and tails are more easily seen with them. That particular item is the one thing that'll probably make me keep the 5000K HIDs in my truck (assuming my test period with them entails no glare isssue) regardless of the things I mentioned, above ... as deer in the country are my biggest concern and why I'm always wishing I had more light.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Having now run both halogens and HIDs in my truck I must disagree with the use of the word 'better' as the light's not better, it's just a different colour temperature.

    Better indicates superior ... and when you drive through a fog bank with nothing but 5000K HIDs ... trust me, it's inferior to 3600-4200K halogens. At early dawn or early dusk conditions the yellower light of halogens is also superior. Driving in the country I've also found that old road signs and old road paint are less reflective with 5000K HID light than with yellower 3600-4200K halogen light. (This seems to be true only of older road signs and road paint; the new signs and paint are about the same. ZA standard must have changed or something, as the new signs seem to use a different material or have a different spec for reflectivity.)

    I've not done wet conditions with HIDs so I can't compare the light reflectivity off wet asphalt surfaces, yet, but I'm betting the halogens win there. So far 5000K HIDs seem to be best on clear nights and newly worked roads (with new signage). Oh, and deer eyes and tails are more easily seen with them. That particular item is the one thing that'll probably make me keep the 5000K HIDs in my truck (assuming my test period with them entails no glare isssue) regardless of the things I mentioned, above ... as deer in the country are my biggest concern and why I'm always wishing I had more light.
    I guess it comes down to "what" people consider better. I have been thinking about going from 6000k HID's to 4500k HID's. In my experience, the HID's illuminate anything reflective better than the halogens and at distances farther from the driver (more distance).

    I would have to argue that the lumen output is higher than halogens. Might have to just replace the head lights with a pair of Dually D2's.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I guess it comes down to "what" people consider better. I have been thinking about going from 6000k HID's to 4500k HID's. In my experience, the HID's illuminate anything reflective better than the halogens and at distances farther from the driver (more distance).
    You need to go 2-ish hours out into the unlit country in fog or where there's no moon -- and tool around out there for about a week ... and then come back to the city. Some of the road signs are older than we are -- and built to a different specification of reflectivity than recently-planted signage one finds in more urban areas. Coatings and such that we have, today, didn't exist, then. The same is true of road paint... except it's not as old (it's resprayed) and the technology used to make it reflective isn't a coating, it's an additive.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 01-08-2013 at 12:30 AM.

  10. #20
    Legend


    Enkeiavalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....
    Posts
    5,321

    Default

    Just got this from them..

    the response is similar to some in the past. zXe is designed to be whiter than any other halogen but not brighter. SilverStar Ultra is still designed to be the safest headlight, whitest and brightest combined. zXe is not designed to see further downroad, while SilverStar Ultra is.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ok who wants FREE Sylvania SilverStar® zXe's for the highs and Lows?
    By Enkeiavalanche in forum Contests & Giveaways
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 10:04 PM
  3. Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs
    By BowTieFan1 in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 10:42 PM
  4. Sylvania Silverstar HID Lights
    By TonyHimself in forum Lighting Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM
  5. Sylvania Silverstar HID Lights
    By TonyHimself in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •