GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Steady Check Engine + Hard Shifting

On my way to work this morning i accelerated pretty hard to get into the flow of traffic, not to many openings in the morning rush. At any rate, the check engine light came on, it wasnt flashing, so i wasnt immediately worried. But then i noticed some pretty hard shifting by my truck as well. Its a 2003 1500HD, 116K miles. I took it in to get my winter tires off and get an oil change while i was at it, and they did a 30 point inspection and told me my tranny fluid was looking pretty burnt and that i should probably think about getting it and the pan replaced too. At the moment im thinking that the check engine light coming at the same time as the hard shifting is coincidental, i would like a second opinion. I dont really have much faith in going to the shops asking for a code diagnostic on the engine hoping that theyll be honest about it.

Thanks
    AkRide907 - Milaud
    2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Crewcab 6.0L
    Quadrasteer, K&N Cold Air Intake, Catback True Dual Exhaust
    "Welcome to Alaska... where its cold as f**k, and we go hard with our trucks."
    Next project: Install Long Tube Headers w/custom header back exhaust pipes

Sr. Engineer

Take it by auto parts for a free scan . Sounds like tps problem. If fluid was burned maybe a heat issue.
    Scan man .
    RESIDENT NUT.....MY CLAIM TO FAME .....

I took it by a shucks yesterday after i got off from work, the scanner code said it was something wrong with the mass airflow sensor. Soon as we cleared the code and started the truck back up the check engine light never came back on. So score. The real hard shifting went away for the most part too. But because of that i went and took a look at my tranny fluid. When i got my tires changed a few weeks back the shop i went to did a free inspection and told me that my tranny fluid was pretty burnt, i was like, i hadnt noticed anything unusual while driving but ill keep it in mind. But i checked last night after my drive home, and it wasnt super black, but it was anywhere near the red or orange that its supposed to be kept at. My mistake for not changing it when my pops sold it to me a few years ago. Anyway, ive talked to that same shop again, and they pulled up the inspection and they think its serious enough that its going to be a 50-50 split on whether or not ill need a new transmission. I didnt see any shavings or nothing when i pulled the dipstick out, i dont know if the dipstick would even show you something like that, but i really dont think its THAT serious. Yes, i should get it changed, but i dont think its serious to the point that i wont have a truck for a week or two. Im going by a few other shops today for some second opinions, id rather do the whole thing myself.
    AkRide907 - Milaud

Did the fluidl smell burnt?

I would change the filter and the trans fluid or get it flushed so you get a complete fluid change.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

Nah the fluid smelt fine to me. I got second and third opinions and two different shops and they were in agreement about it not being as bad as the first shop thought but that it would still be a good idea to change it. I was going to do a manual flush of the trans sys but i cant find a good solvent to run through the lines, havent found anything good at the Oriellys or Napa here oddly. Any suggestions?
    AkRide907 - Milaud

Sometimes a flush on a high mileage trans results in rebuilding a trans. From what I understand, the new fluid can actually wash away any friction surface remaining on the bands. It is less likely to happen if the fluid is changed religiously, but a lot of guys say that if you have not done it by 125,000, not to do it at all. My opinion is that it is worth a try.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

A few things stand out to me from your first post.
    First you might want to try cleaning the MAS if you havent already done so, by giving you a light it was trying to tell you something was wrong, they usually dont fault if everything is working perfectly and they dont fix themselves, maybe the fault went away but chances are it was only temporary and will be back when fault conditions are met again.
    Changing the trans fluid I understand, and if it's discolored at all should be considered serious because that means it's contaminated and if your seeing the discoloration on the dipstick it's circulating through the system and wearing parts at a faster rate.
    Change the trans pan? Why, unless its physically damaged theres no need.
    As far as flushing the system I'd really think carefully about that, theres a debate about flushing trans systems due to the fact that when done with a lot of miles many have failed soon afterwards and required replacement/rebuild. If maintenance on the trans has been neglected until this point I'd probably settle for a fluid change, yea this method wont change a 100% of the fluid but some of the theory on transmission fluid exchanges says this is partially the reason a neglected trans survives the change, you dont wash everything out and it retains some material in the fluid to assist with friction.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    A few things stand out to me from your first post.
    First you might want to try cleaning the MAS if you havent already done so, by giving you a light it was trying to tell you something was wrong, they usually dont fault if everything is working perfectly and they dont fix themselves, maybe the fault went away but chances are it was only temporary and will be back when fault conditions are met again.
    Changing the trans fluid I understand, and if it's discolored at all should be considered serious because that means it's contaminated and if your seeing the discoloration on the dipstick it's circulating through the system and wearing parts at a faster rate.
    Change the trans pan? Why, unless its physically damaged theres no need.
    As far as flushing the system I'd really think carefully about that, theres a debate about flushing trans systems due to the fact that when done with a lot of miles many have failed soon afterwards and required replacement/rebuild. If maintenance on the trans has been neglected until this point I'd probably settle for a fluid change, yea this method wont change a 100% of the fluid but some of the theory on transmission fluid exchanges says this is partially the reason a neglected trans survives the change, you dont wash everything out and it retains some material in the fluid to assist with friction.

What about if i do a full change over the course of a few days? Buy a gallon, drop the pan, let whatever is there drain out, pour the same amount back into the tranny, drive around for a day. Repeat until ive swapped out 3-4 gallons or so. The more i think about it, itll probably end up being more like upwards of 6 or 7 if i do it that way. Ill be reverse diluting it you could say, until it looks clean again? Is that something i could do? If so, when would be a good point to swap the filter and gasket? On the first dump or after the fluid starts too look a bit "cleaner"
    AkRide907 - Milaud

I'd probably just go with a standard change then check it in a few days to see how discolored it is, filter and gasket are cheap enough I'd change each time I went in.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I'd probably just go with a standard change then check it in a few days to see how discolored it is, filter and gasket are cheap enough I'd change each time I went in.
    Well im trying to change the darn thing now. GM is kind of on my **** list at the moment. They WELDED on a heat shield on the drivers side of the tranny pan. And i cant see any way short of taking out my driver side exhaust pipes in order to get to it to bend it back far enough so i can take out the bolts on the pan. Anybody know any tricks with this? Maybe something im missing?
    AkRide907 - Milaud