GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How ti fix speedometer/ odometer/ instant mpg on 09 with 35s

Hey guys got a question for ya from a friend, the have a 2009 gmc 1500, she wants to put a 6in lift with 35s but wants to keep her speedo, odometer, instant mpg calculator, avarage mpg ect... accurate, what are some of the options to go about this and how much would it cost? i know a programer can fix your speedo but dont know about everything else.
    thanks o3gerber

A programmer or custom tune will take care of those things for you. Either blackbear or Diablo can provide a custom tune for the lift and both are vendors here. It will typically cost between 5-800 give or take. The advantage to the custom tune is that it will be tuned specifically to her driving style and what she wants out of it regarding the balance between mpg and low end as well as hardening up the shift points. Another advantage is that I've spoken with both blackbear and diablo as I'm planning to put a 6" on my 2009 as well and they both offer support for additional tunes after the initial at no cost. You'd have to speak to them for details.

I've also read of people going with Bullydog programmers, but I know nothing of them specifically so I can't speak to them as well.

Lastly, is she planning to change out the gears as well? If not, she'll have a noticeable loss of power due to the added weight and bigger tires. The gears will help out with this. Additionally, it should lessen the strain on your tranny from pushing the bigger tires down the road.

Yes, the tune and gears are adding additional cost to the lift, but it's important to do it right so you don't end up breaking something earlier than usual.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom on the forum main page you'll see the Blackbear Performance and Diablo Motorsports vendors. I'd recommend contacting them to get specifics about cost.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Fixing the speedometer fixes all of those things.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Fixing the speedometer fixes all of those things.
    This times two.

Awesome, thank you for the help guys, i will have her take a look at this thread and have her sign up to the forum so she can figure out whitch way she wants to fix the speedometer, but thanks again guys!

You can adjust the speedometer by programming the computer. If you don't want to buy a programmer, some shops have the equipment to do it.

Shops that can do it tend to charge about 1/3 the cost of a programmer for it, which is annoying. Might as well buy a programmer so you can make your own tweaks. It is, after all, another tool for your shop...