GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ABS/ Brake issue on our trucks

HI, first time posting here. Got a big concern.

Being "like a rock" a trucks are not known for good breaks. Thoughthere has never been a recall, consumer reports complain about the ridiculousABS stopping distance for a 5,200 lb truck.... its bad.
    though still better than the ford bronco =)

I almost completely took someone out recently because, texting, they stopped ona dime at a yellow light at about 50MPH... to text...

SLAMMING on the breaks, and swerving around them, i was forced to continuethrough the light because it was as if my momentum had not arrested even in theslightest. I heard a -chirp- and then it felt like I lost breaking....... very unsettling.

Later, on a disserted street, I did the same thing again. With, and without theABS fuse in place (down and left of the steering Colum)
    Locking brakes are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better!!!

But, pulling that fuse causes check engine lights, which means; closed-loop,run rich, horrible gas millage.... so we cant have that either.

My question(s) is:
    How do you disable that ugly ABS unit?
    Is there a way to tune them so they function better?

Is there a break upgrade kit you may have that feels life-savingly better thanwhat was stock?

let me know what you think
    THANKS ALL!!

Last edited by K15 Blazer Guy; 05-16-2012 at 02:01 PM.

What year and model is your truck? You could always do the disc brake conversion in the rear if it has drums. My dad's abs "pump" went bad on his Avalanche. He just unplugged the pump near the master cylinder. No check engine light, I think that the abs light is on but that is it. Now it has no abs
    Last edited by Pikey; 05-16-2012 at 01:33 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

oops
    its a 1993, K1500 Blazer (silverado) with a manual 5-speed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	537907_10150944742532542_779702541_12856223_598225619_n.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	39552

and yeah, disc in the rear in certainly a plan...
    didnt know the 'pump' could go bad. Ill hafta take it somewhere for troubble shooting.
    The guy a bought it from just had the brakes re-done on it... so maybe air in the line(s) too.......
    either way, locking brakes seems superior... stupid congress mandating ABS...
    Last edited by K15 Blazer Guy; 05-16-2012 at 02:01 PM.

It seems to be working without malfuntion or air in the system... but where did he unplug the ABS pump to not cause a main ECU problem?

Im gonna take it to "brake masters" when i get a chance. they do great on chevys.
    Last edited by K15 Blazer Guy; 05-23-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K15 Blazer Guy View Post
    It seems to be working without malfuntion or air in the system... but where did he unplug the ABS pump to not cause a main ECU problem?

Im gonna take it to "brake masters" when i get a chance. they do great on chevys.
    Next time I go over his house I will take a picture of it. My yukon is not the same set up as his

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

sweet. thanks dude!

Quote Originally Posted by K15 Blazer Guy View Post
    sweet. thanks dude!
    I wish that I would have seen the post earlier. I just got home from there.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0527121746a.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	40014

He unplugged the connector on this pump under the truck near the fuel filter. Sorry that the picture is so crappy. I used my phone. the connector is on the left. He has no SES light just the ABS light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0527121748.jpg   0527121746.jpg  

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

oh weird, mine is different though...
    i have the whole huge assembly taking up the driver side fender-well

i dont know when congress required this crap, but im sure this is early generation... and therefore, ****.

really apreciate the help, but i think this is the one thing on this truck i will be paying someone else to mess with. brakes are too important to leave to chance
    lol

I disabled my ABS system on my 2k 2500. I just unplugged the 3 multipin connectors at the ABS pump/controller on the drivers side fenderwell.
    You will have to unsnap the holding clamps of the computer looking module to reach the plugs on the ABS pump assy, but then you snap it back down in place.
    2010 Silverado LT 1500 5.3L 4X4
    '95 BMW K1100LT
    '97 BMW K1100LT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast