GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Duplicolor Shadow paint

    I have been debating on whether or not I should use this stuff. So I was a bit bored today and bought the kit. I used it on some Harley parts to try to get them to match the rims on my bike. So I disassembled the parts, cleaned them and away I went with the painting. I took some before pics but no after because I was so unhappy with the outcome. The kit is almost like a candy black with a clear coat. The finished product came out looking like I had actually painted it with a standard black. Now I am no painter by any means but this stuff was hard to work with. When I sprayed the "color" on it came out nice from the can but did not land well on the parts. There were what looked like large bubbles on the surface of the part. I sprayed 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear.
    I think part of my unhappiness has to do with the fact I was trying to match my rims. The cap on the color paint matched my rims nicely. But the finished product did not.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    The cap on the color paint matched my rims nicely. But the finished product did not.
    This is a common rattle can problem. :(

  3. #3

    Default

    Just one more thing to add to my frustration

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    I have been debating on whether or not I should use this stuff. So I was a bit bored today and bought the kit. I used it on some Harley parts to try to get them to match the rims on my bike. So I disassembled the parts, cleaned them and away I went with the painting. I took some before pics but no after because I was so unhappy with the outcome. The kit is almost like a candy black with a clear coat. The finished product came out looking like I had actually painted it with a standard black. Now I am no painter by any means but this stuff was hard to work with. When I sprayed the "color" on it came out nice from the can but did not land well on the parts. There were what looked like large bubbles on the surface of the part. I sprayed 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear.
    I think part of my unhappiness has to do with the fact I was trying to match my rims. The cap on the color paint matched my rims nicely. But the finished product did not.

    With candy paint you need to apply light coats until you get a close match to an existing finish. If you got large droplets when you applied the paint you may have needed to shake it up and mix it well or you were to close when you sprayed it causing to much paint to hit the surface before it atomized correctly.

    Another thing is if you did not take the "shine" off the parts you applied paint to, it may not adhere well. You can paint over clear so you could redo the parts. If you do that wet sand it with 1000 grit until the " shine" is gone. Get a bucket of warm water and add some dish soap to it. Soak the sand paper until its soft. The soap will provide lubrication for the sandpaper an allow it to go over the surface smoothly. Just sand in a circular motion with a light pressure...you dont want to go through the clear you have and get in to the base coat. Take a terry cloth and dry off the part every few minutes to see how your progress is coming. Once you have it all to a dull look you can repaint.


    GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

    If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

    Get the Gorilla!

    gorilladip.com

    sales@gorilladip.com

  5. #5

    Default

    It is like a candy in that the substrait shows through. With that being said they say not to knock the shine off of it or else the finished product will not have a shine to it. One of the parts that I did was the headlight ring. It looked so bad after the first try I wipped the paint off and tried it again. I kept the can about a foot away from the part and shook the hell out of the can for a few minuted thinking that that could have been the issue. Same result. I wanted to test the product cause I was thinking about doing all the lettering on my truck using this product. Well I can tell you that won't be happening.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    It is like a candy in that the substrait shows through. With that being said they say not to knock the shine off of it or else the finished product will not have a shine to it. One of the parts that I did was the headlight ring. It looked so bad after the first try I wipped the paint off and tried it again. I kept the can about a foot away from the part and shook the hell out of the can for a few minuted thinking that that could have been the issue. Same result. I wanted to test the product cause I was thinking about doing all the lettering on my truck using this product. Well I can tell you that won't be happening.
    The only reason you would knock the shine of is to repaint. Even before you painted the parts that had clear, if any did, you would want rip knock the shine off. Otherwise you WWII find that new paint slowly coming off as it can't adhere to the strata.

  7. #7
    Jr. Engineer UpsetProps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    223

    Default

    @sstoner911 I don't think you understand what Duplicolor Shadow is for. It is meant to turn chrome parts into "black chrome". You are not supposed to sand them first.

    2012 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 4.8L 4x4
    - Nitto Tera Grapler 265/70R17, Line-X bed liner, Black Bowties, Stampede front deflector, DeeZee black diamond plate bed rails, TonnoPro Lo-roll cover, Antenna deleted, Spyder Projection Headlights with Phillips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, Spyder Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Rough Country leveling kit, PlastiDip'd emblems, and wheel hubs, Diablosport Trinity, 20% tint, Black OEM grill


    "Coming through in a new Chevy, droppin' game like it's too heavy."

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UpsetProps View Post
    @sstoner911 I don't think you understand what Duplicolor Shadow is for. It is meant to turn chrome parts into "black chrome". You are not supposed to sand them first.
    All I will say its you didn't read the "tip" sheet they provide online then...it states to scuff the object if its glossy/shiny . You't paint over anything rust its glossy aka slick because you're paint will not adhere .
    Last edited by sstoner911; 05-17-2012 at 12:43 PM.

  9. #9
    Jr. Engineer UpsetProps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    All I will say its you didn't read the "tip" sheet they provide online then...it states to scuff the object if its glossy/shiny . You't paint over anything rust its glossy aka slick because you're paint will not adhere .
    Hmmm... I see what you are talking about if you mean the "tip sheet" here: http://www.duplicolor.com/pdfs/tips.pdf

    However, that is a general tip sheet for any DupliColor paint, not specific to Shadow....I agree with you that regular paint you are supposed to scuff the surface, but if you watch the DupliColor Shadow videos they specifically tell you not to scuff the surfaces. As seen here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ziO0ZytLuE&feature=related

  10. #10

    Default

    No I went direct to the shadow paint page. They have a similar tip sheet there. That's a little mis leading coMpared to the video.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Dupli-Color Shadow for Black Chrome Look
    By AMac in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last: 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM
  2. DupliColor Bed Liner
    By Als09Sierra in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last: 01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
  3. Shadow Suburban Build....New Member!!!
    By Whitey in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last: 04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
  4. Duplicolor Paint
    By MD4x4 Fireman in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last: 01-03-2008, 10:05 PM
  5. DupliColor Undercoating
    By MD4x4 Fireman in forum Chevy Truck Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last: 10-23-2007, 05:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •