GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: VAN lights

Sr. Apprentice

Default VAN lights

Hey guys,

I have a question, I just replaced my tail lights on my 03 chevy 3500 box van. They came with the basic round bulb lights. I replaced the upper and lower lights with the LEDS ones. (we have a liftgate) Now when I turn the turn signal on its the quick flash like a bulb is out. Any Idea what the quick fix could be. Im not the greatest when it comes to electrial things.
    06 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext. Cab
    Mods:
    285/70/17 toyo open country AT's. TSC low profile tool box, Line-X BedLiner, Car-Well rubber underbody spray, Pro Comp Leveling Kit, 3in body lift, Sony double dash touch screen cd player, Airaide intake, Poweraid TBS. 20% front, windshield. 5% rear tints. 4x6 alpine and 6 1/2 Hertz audio in doors. (still sounds terrible) Chrome nerf bars (looking to sell) came with truck. BDS steering stabilizer

Quote Originally Posted by smitht06 View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a question, I just replaced my tail lights on my 03 chevy 3500 box van. They came with the basic round bulb lights. I replaced the upper and lower lights with the LEDS ones. (we have a liftgate) Now when I turn the turn signal on its the quick flash like a bulb is out. Any Idea what the quick fix could be. Im not the greatest when it comes to electrial things.
    The quick flash indicates that the bulbs are not compatible with others on the same flash circuit, or they are not compatible with the flasher relay itself. The resistance is different, the flasher thinks they are burned out. Maybe you have the wrong part number on the LED's.

If you have LEDs in the front also you can purchase a new flasher relay. Or you can install a load resistor on the rear LEDs.
    2011 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
    LED Dome light
    LED Floor lights
    RC Leveling kit
    Tow Mirrors Custom LED running/signal lights
    BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover

Both of those guys are right ^

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Sr. Apprentice

I am going to have to try both of those. I put one on the old lights back in on the lower driver side and it seems to be working fine. I lefted the right side LEDs in and thats the one with the quick flash now. Also I do not have the LEDs in front nor in the rear for the clearence lights. The other question I have is. What wire would I put the load resistor on. I'm not to fimiliar with this type of stuff. Also, what type of flasher relay would I have to buy?

Sorry for the simple questions. Just new to this stuff.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

You might be right. I went to the Local NAPA store around the corner from our warehouse and they said these are 100% compatible with the old bulbs ones. So my guess is that it could be just a relay or something.

Thanks for your help.
    06 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext. Cab
    Mods:
    285/70/17 toyo open country AT's. TSC low profile tool box, Line-X BedLiner, Car-Well rubber underbody spray, Pro Comp Leveling Kit, 3in body lift, Sony double dash touch screen cd player, Airaide intake, Poweraid TBS. 20% front, windshield. 5% rear tints. 4x6 alpine and 6 1/2 Hertz audio in doors. (still sounds terrible) Chrome nerf bars (looking to sell) came with truck. BDS steering stabilizer

As already mentioned the quick flash is due to the difference in load resistance with the LED lights - any LED light will do that unless they have a load resistor built in to them.

If your truck uses a flasher relay you can buy a new relay to cure the quick flash. If you have a newer truck like mine ( 2008), well some what newer now, the flash relay is gone and that function is controlled bythe BCM. Which means you need someone with a Tech 2 to reprogram the BCM.

The dealer wanted $200 for that service....the cheapest I found a shop to do it is $125.00.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Sounds like time to buy a couple of resistors!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)