GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cleaning running boards

I wash and wax my truck, dress the tires, clean all the glass. But, the running boards never look clean. I get all the dirt off of them, but they don't shine. I have used tire foam on them. They look awesome after that. I don't use the boards but my wife and kids do. They complain because they are slippery as heck after I foam them. Any ideas on what I can use to make them shine but not slippery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	39601
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0056.jpg  

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Sr. Apprentice

I have used a couple of things but this seems to work best.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/SPRAY_DR...ir_spray_1.htm

Just make sure you wipe it down after you spray it on.

Master Mechanic

Turtle Wax total Interior Care Detailer. I use it on all exterior plastics including the plastic for the running board steps and end caps. It makes it clean looking but not glossy which means it's not as slippery.

I just came across this post again today. First, I ended up using the turtle wax extreme shield wax on the running boards. It made them shine and it was not slippery. Second, looking at the pictures of my truck sure makes me miss that color and how well it shined. No matter what I do to my new truck the silver birch paint just does note have the mirror effect that this one did.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I just came across this post again today. First, I ended up using the turtle wax extreme shield wax on the running boards. It made them shine and it was not slippery. Second, looking at the pictures of my truck sure makes me miss that color and how well it shined. No matter what I do to my new truck the silver birch paint just does note have the mirror effect that this one did.
    Start saving for a paint job!

yea, right! that will not happen.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    It is a nice paint color. As much as I am a big fan of orange and red, my Sprial Grey Avalanche always looks nice when it's cleaned up... even with swirlmarks and such in the paint. I do like silver birch too though.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Sr. Apprentice

Adams Butter Wax do great job for cleansing. Goes on easy and comes off easy and leaves a great shine.Quick Clean, Adam's Detail Spray truly best for Waterless Car Wash and Quick Spray are also good to achieve the best shine and best looking paint, well it is a process. Wash, clay bar, polish, then wax.

Quote Originally Posted by marksoldtowne View Post
    Adams Butter Wax do great job for cleansing. Goes on easy and comes off easy and leaves a great shine.Quick Clean, Adam's Detail Spray truly best for Waterless Car Wash and Quick Spray are also good to achieve the best shine and best looking paint, well it is a process. Wash, clay bar, polish, then wax.

Will adams butter wax turn white on exterior plastics?

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Master Mechanic

I will second the Chemical Guys Black on Black!! I use that on all plastics! Really brings back the shine as well as cleans up all that plastic found under our hoods too!
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast