GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Default Attempted Theft - Damaged Steering Column - 1996 Chevy Suburban

    From a first time poster

    Hello fellow forum members, I need your help. Someone unsuccessfully attempted to steal my next door neighbors 1996 Chevy Suburban and badly damaged the wiring and other parts. He is not mechanically inclined, had no insurance coverage for this, and cannot afford to get it fixed.

    I would like to help him. To do so I need to locate (1) a picture of the internal parts of the steering column (2) a wiring diagram of this area.
    (3) What other model years would have identical parts to this 1996 Suburban? Can any of you tell me where I can locate any of these things?

    IF you have other additional information that you think might help me please feel free to do so.

    This is my first post ever to this forum so I hope that my post is appropriate. If I need to make any changes in future posts please let me know and I will do so.

    I am very grateful for any help that any of you can offer.

    Sincerely, TheMysteryMan
    Little Rock, Arkansas

  2. #2

    Default

    That sucks, what were they trying to do - hotwire it? I'm sure that someone here will step up to the plate and help out.

    Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

    Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That sucks, what were they trying to do - hotwire it? I'm sure that someone here will step up to the plate and help out.


    Steve, Yes that appears to be what they were trying to do. As messed up as everything was it appears it was probably someone very inexperienced, possibly very young.

  4. #4

    Default

    Probably some teenagers on a first time car jack. I do hope the police were called and a case was opened. If you can give us a few pictures of the steering column and whats damaged, I'm sure we can help point you in the right direction. Do keep us informed and also, welcome aboard the GMTC, great group of people here and always willing to help out with any problems.



    If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

    Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    Probably some teenagers on a first time car jack. I do hope the police were called and a case was opened. If you can give us a few pictures of the steering column and whats damaged, I'm sure we can help point you in the right direction. Do keep us informed and also, welcome aboard the GMTC, great group of people here and always willing to help out with any problems.
    rileyjr16 or Charles, Yes a police report was made. I have not asked but I doubt the police even came out to make a report.
    It is becoming more and more common for them to take property damage reports of less than a couple of thousand dollars by
    telephone.

    My digital camera is out of condition at this time and my digital phone has no camera so I will probably not post pictures as
    you suggested.

    But if other members could help me locate the 3 items I asked for in this original thread I think that I could help my neighbor.

    I would be very appreciative for the help of anyone that can supply any one of those 3 things. I am confident that there
    are some good people that are members of this forum that will step forward to supply that information. I patiently await
    their response to this thread.

  6. #6

    Default

    I believe that all 95-98 and some 99 fullsize trucks will use the same parts. I had to do a theft repair on a 1995 silverado, I just ended up buying a harness from the dealer it was around $80. It ran from the ignition switch, around the column to somewhere under the dash.(it was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly). Basically it replaced all the wires from the ignition switch. Can you just match up wire colors and reconnect them?
    Here is a quick description of the wires in the column.
    http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew...ngdiagrams.asp

    You can always search websites of remote start or alarm manufactures to find better diagrams. If you sign up on autozones website they claim that they have free vehicle specific wiring diagrams
    Last edited by Pikey; 05-16-2012 at 09:57 AM.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  7. #7

    Default

    Or you could just go to the junkyard and get another column.
    ...
    ....

  8. #8

    Default

    I would have to agree that depending on the amount of damage to the wiring and column, it might be easier to get a new wiring harness and/or column from a junkyard. It should be easily found and be reasonably priced. The wiring harness goes from the ignition switch and turn signal down to a 20 pin or so multi-connector at the base of the column just under the dash. It would give me a lot better feeling than a ton of splices in the column.
    Christopher

    1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half



    There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I believe that all 95-98 and some 99 fullsize trucks will use the same parts. I had to do a theft repair on a 1995 silverado, I just ended up buying a harness from the dealer it was around $80. It ran from the ignition switch, around the column to somewhere under the dash.(it was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly). Basically it replaced all the wires from the ignition switch. Can you just match up wire colors and reconnect them?
    Here is a quick description of the wires in the column.
    http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew...ngdiagrams.asp

    You can always search websites of remote start or alarm manufactures to find better diagrams. If you sign up on autozones website they claim that they have free vehicle specific wiring diagrams
    Pikey, You offered multiple suggestions, all of them good, but the best of all was "If you sign up on autozones website they claim that they have free vehicle specific wiring diagrams". I did this and I was very impressed with the number of schematics or diagrams they had for this vehicle. If you just visit their website and look for a wiring diagram you can not even tell that they have one for this vehicle or any other vehicle. But once you create an account so that you have access to their assorted online repair guides then you can locate assorted wiring diagrams that are specific vehicle diagrams. I am very grateful for this suggestion.

    If anyone needs a wiring diagram for any vehicle I would encourage them to go to Auto Zone and sign up. Membership is FREE - a cost that I can afford.

    To sign up go to this URL
    https://www.autozone.com/autozone/my...file/login.jsp
    After you sign up then go the "Repair Help" section to access the wiring diagrams and many "How To" Repair Guides

    Pikey, Thank you very much for this suggestion.

    ---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
    Or you could just go to the junkyard and get another column.
    Yes Chris, that has been an option from the very beginning and we may end up taking that option if a simpler solution is not available.

    ---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I would have to agree that depending on the amount of damage to the wiring and column, it might be easier to get a new wiring harness and/or column from a junkyard. It should be easily found and be reasonably priced. The wiring harness goes from the ignition switch and turn signal down to a 20 pin or so multi-connector at the base of the column just under the dash. It would give me a lot better feeling than a ton of splices in the column.
    Crawdaddy, this may be the final course selected. These thieves damaged more than the wiring. If we cannot come up with a picture to see exactly what is missing then we will likely go to the junkyard just to get a look at a steering column to take a few pictures of what was there before these vandals damaged, destroyed & removed parts.

    Thank you for your suggestions & thoughts.

  10. #10

    Default

    Here is a site with the diagram that the dealer would use. Just scroll thru the list and the pages, when you find the part you want click "View part diagram"

    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Clicking (flasher like) sound from my 99 Chevy steering column
    By Texxxan in forum Chevy Truck Talk & GM News
    Replies: 16
    Last: 01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
  2. 92 Steering column... Floor shift vs Column compatibility?
    By terryny in forum Chevy C/K Truck Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last: 09-28-2011, 06:10 PM
  3. will a 99 steering column work on my 94 suburban?
    By 94burbtx in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 1
    Last: 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM
  4. 05 06 07 chevy silverado lower steering column bearing
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM
  5. 99-07 chevy silverado truck steering column bearing
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 12-21-2010, 01:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •