GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    Wondering what others use to defend their home. Unfortunately, the wife is really fighting me on getting a shotgun for the home. She did say that she'd be more comfortable with a handgun, which takes 6 months for a permit, but I also feel that a shotgun would be fun at the range, and provide more oomph protection. Let me know if you have any suggestions for convincing the wife too.
    At college I always keep my assisted openers around, but at home I keep a loaded .410 in the corner. Try looking into a .410/.45 judge, great handgun if you ask me.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Keep working on it. My wife is similar as in it took 10 years of convincing before I got a handgun. She never had an issue with my rifles but for unrational reasons (and she admitted such) she didnt like handguns. Well I finally bought a Ruger P95 with sort of a blessing from the wife. What may have kinda been a trick is I bought a bb gun pistol originally for me and our daughter. I got her to shoot that a few times and she realized she kind of enjoyed it. so I finally got the 9mm and got her to at least handle (and use properly) it a little as I stripped and cleaned it. I finally got her to go to the range and I rented a sig .22 for her to start with (trick is start small caliber and work them up), then moved her to my 9mm. She actually enjoyed shooting them, but like the .22 better and not just because of the ease of shooting.

David,

That's good advice, thanks. I'll keep at it. I have a plastic bb hand gun for shooting at the birds that dive bomb my dog in the Spring. I'll have to see if she'll shoot it. I also just setup to record the Doomsday shows on NGC, and the show on the Mayan calendar predictions. I doubt she'll watch them, but we'll see.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 08_rado_rocker View Post
    For home defense i have my blow-gun with poisonous tree frog darts, backed up by a paintball gun with marbles in it, which is then backed up by a glock model 22 .40cal stuffed with Hornady Critical Defense ammunition... which is in turn backed up by a Remington R-25 VTR (which is .308 for those who don't know) with a tact light, green laser sight, frang rounds X31. Come get me suckas!

...I'm betting the paintball gun hurts the most...

..because it does.

.personal experience.

LMMFAO
    I don't want to know how you found out, but I can only imagine how much that hurt. That sounds like a good idea. My only concern would be where to keep it. Too big for the end table, and I couldn't leave it out because of my daughter. The fully auto guns could do some serious damage though.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    At college I always keep my assisted openers around, but at home I keep a loaded .410 in the corner. Try looking into a .410/.45 judge, great handgun if you ask me.
    That Taurus Judge looks like a great option. The wife probably won't be open to a long gun, so the ability to put the .410 shells in there would be perfect. I only wish it held more than 5 shots, but it's better than what I have now. If I get her comfortable with handguns, I could possibly get a Judge and one other that holds more rounds of 22 or 9mm.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

take her to a range that will let you rent guns, show her how shooting really is. might help.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

This thread is a perfect example of why I don't even bother with women who don't like firearms -- ESPECIALLY those who don't know anything about them or have never tried them. There's a term for forming unfavorable opinions prior to having any experience with them ... and I believe it is: prejudice.

Surreal

P.S. Here's an image for you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	577991_332846330119635_204152432989026_847837_645292614_n.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	39857
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 05-22-2012 at 08:33 PM.

DAMMMMNNNN

can i meet her?

lol

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of why I don't even bother with women who don't like firearms -- ESPECIALLY those who don't know anything about them or have never tried them. There's a term for forming unfavorable opinions prior to having any experience with them ... and I believe it is: prejudice.

Surreal

P.S. Here's an image for you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	577991_332846330119635_204152432989026_847837_645292614_n.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	39857
    Prejudice might be a bit strong. It's more fear than anything. She has never been introduced to firearms, and hears lots of bs about people getting shot with their own firearms. She's also concerned about the possibility of our daughter getting hurt. I don't blame her there. That's my main concern, and would override any desire to own and have a gun in the house. Thanks for the pic.
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs

Master Mechanic

women and firearms ugh... I taught my ex how to shoot with a .22 rifle. When I asked her to let me see the rifle she replied no. When i asked again she POINTS THE LOADED RIFLE AT ME! after i yelled put the gun down, she does but replies the safety was on. ...and people wonder how accidents happen.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Master Mechanic

i've got an h & r pardner 12 guage and a smith wesson 9mm sigma for backup. if those don't work my ar-15 .223 is sitting in the closet!!

2002 Tahoe LT---------TINTED WINDOWS------------7" DUAL DVD INDASH

I'm pretty close to convincing the wife. One question. What do you guys use to store a shotgun? I like the shot lok, but the wife wants something to hold it in, more like a safe or case we can lock. There's one case that's made for under the bed and is more like a safe. Anyone use something like that?
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs

My home defense shotty hangs from a peg in the closet. The closet has a programmable keypad on it so that I can access it quickly ... yet still secure what's behind it from unauthorized access. My CCW pistol is usually loose in the house, with me ... and rarely more than 5' from me. If I had kids then the pistol would be in a biometric or keypad quicksafe bolted to the night stand. This pistol is, after all, a tool used to protect yourself and family while getting the long gun from the closet.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast