GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 Last Post byLast Post by

nice looking gun!

all i can say otherwise is practice practice practice.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    nice looking gun!

all i can say otherwise is practice practice practice.

Alex
    Thanks Alex. Went to the range today and shot slugs. Quite a kick, especially with 3 1/4 slugs. Not sure why they didn't give me 2 3/4. Anyway, after about 30 mins and 20 slugs I was done. Beat up my shoulder a little, but it was a good first trip to the range. Need to figure out a better way to hold it, but it was a good trip. I want to see if one of the others nearby allows buckshot so I can get a sense of how that shoots. Definitely going to get my handgun license too, just need a fourth signature for my NY license.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

generally speaking, slugs come in 2 3/4 and 3" lengths. ive never seen a 3 1/2. thats usually resrved for magnum shot loads, I.E. OO buck.

my 870 is a super magnum express, so i can shoot all 3 shell sizes. make sure you can do this as well, the barrel should be stamped. 3 1/2 inch shells dont work in 3 inch chambers.

the thing to remember is hold it in your shoulder pocket tight, if its lose you will know.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    generally speaking, slugs come in 2 3/4 and 3" lengths. ive never seen a 3 1/2. thats usually resrved for magnum shot loads, I.E. OO buck.

my 870 is a super magnum express, so i can shoot all 3 shell sizes. make sure you can do this as well, the barrel should be stamped. 3 1/2 inch shells dont work in 3 inch chambers.

the thing to remember is hold it in your shoulder pocket tight, if its lose you will know.

Alex
    I think they were 3 1/4 actually. I did get a few bruises on my shoulder. I played around with different holds and the next time I go to the range I'll try one that I think will work better. I'll also look for a range that will let me shoot 00 buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    For now it's in the closet on a high shelf where I can reach it, but my 4 y.o. can't. It's not the most convenient in an emergency, but for now it works. I want to get the ShotLok, but the wife wants it in the closet. I want it near the bed. Now it's time for some range time.
    A home defense firearm does you little good if it's somewhere in the home that's tough for you to get to quickly when you're under duress. Yet, at the same time, you are defnitely doing the right thing by securing it from unauthorized parties (which happen to include your 4yr old). Products like this are made for such circumstances and you might want to look at this one and others: http://www.shotlock.com/ That'd be a good candidate for bolting to your wall (via a stud) in your closet.

I won a Shotlock in the spring contest but, unfortunately, I have yet to receive it ... so, sadly, I can't provide you with a review for it. (Steve was looking into it.)

Good choice on the HD gun! I was going to chime in and tell you (like others did) that a handgun would be a bad choice for a first time owner. Especially for HD use. Lot's of good reasoning behind that, but not necassary to go into since you already made the right choice.
    What I would suggest is practicing with birdshot to get the hang of it and become more familiar with it.
    The shell size you mentioned is a new one on me???? 3.5" should be the largest size you can buy with 3" and 2.75" being the other two. That aside, check your barrel to see what it says it's rated for to be sure you aren't taking a risk when shooting any types of ammo. It'll be stamped on the left side of the barrel. If it only says 2.75 and 3" then DO NOT shoot the larger rounds!

By the way, if you ever want your wife to allow you to add new toys to your collection....DON'T start her out shooting the 12g! She'll never want to shoot a gun again. Get her a rental gun in .22 or find someone who owns a .22 that can let you borrow it.
    Last edited by Ape; 07-15-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    A home defense firearm does you little good if it's somewhere in the home that's tough for you to get to quickly when you're under duress. Yet, at the same time, you are defnitely doing the right thing by securing it from unauthorized parties (which happen to include your 4yr old). Products like this are made for such circumstances and you might want to look at this one and others: http://www.shotlock.com/ That'd be a good candidate for bolting to your wall (via a stud) in your closet.

I won a Shotlock in the spring contest but, unfortunately, I have yet to receive it ... so, sadly, I can't provide you with a review for it. (Steve was looking into it.)
    I was hoping to get your insight on the ShotLock. I may order one through Costco anyway, but am also considering an in-wall safe in the closet. It's not as convenient as next to the bed, but allows me to store with shells in the mag and without the trigger lock. The ShotLock does the same, but the gun would be out in the open where wondering eyes get curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    Good choice on the HD gun! I was going to chime in and tell you (like others did) that a handgun would be a bad choice for a first time owner. Especially for HD use. Lot's of good reasoning behind that, but not necassary to go into since you already made the right choice.
    What I would suggest is practicing with birdshot to get the hang of it and become more familiar with it.
    The shell size you mentioned is a new one on me???? 3.5" should be the largest size you can buy with 3" and 2.75" being the other two. That aside, check your barrel to see what it says it's rated for to be sure you aren't taking a risk when shooting any types of ammo. It'll be stamped on the left side of the barrel. If it only says 2.75 and 3" then DO NOT shoot the larger rounds!

By the way, if you ever want your wife to allow you to add new toys to your collection....DON'T start her out shooting the 12g! She'll never want to shoot a gun again. Get her a rental gun in .22 or find someone who owns a .22 that can let you borrow it.
    Thanks Ape. The slugs were actually 3 1/4, and when I asked at the desk they said it's the same as 3". I knew the Mossberg is only rated for up to 3" so I was surprised, but she said it's the same thing. The problem with practicing with 00 or bird shot is finding a range that will allow me to do so. There's nowhere to shoot around here except a range, and most do not allow shooting anything but slugs. I agree that asking my wife to shoot the 12ga would be a huge mistake. If she ever decides she wants to try it out, we'll rent a .22 at the range and see how she likes it.

I just noticed that you live in Long Island NY.... I'm guessing just owning a gun is a nightmare, much less transporting it and finding a place to use it. :-/
    But I would assume there's a club out there somewhere for trap/skeet shooting. Matter of fact, here's some I found doing a Google search.

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/NY

http://www.suffolkclays.com/

http://www.longislandshootingrange.com/

http://www.lisc.net/p332.htm

Google search for shooting ranges: https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...w=1280&bih=543

Shooting skeet or trap may not be optimal for self defense training with your new shotty, but it'll do a lot to help you get used to your gun without the abuse of a heavy round on your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    I was hoping to get your insight on the ShotLock. I may order one through Costco anyway, but am also considering an in-wall safe in the closet. It's not as convenient as next to the bed, but allows me to store with shells in the mag and without the trigger lock. The ShotLock does the same, but the gun would be out in the open where wondering eyes get curious.
    Security is usually a layered approach. I personally have an electronic keypad lock on my closet door ... this is in addition to secure storage within the closet. It's fast, lighted at the touch of the pad so it's visible in the dark, and provides two layers of security ... so that wondering eyes can't get in to be curious.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 Last Post byLast Post by