GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Deer strike

Sr. Apprentice

Default Deer strike

I live in Texas and most people know the deer here are on the small side, not like the ones you find up North. Well I was unfortunate enough to hit one of the biggest deer here in Texas with my 2001 Silverado. Doing at least 70. Drove my radiator into the fan. $3500 damage..... very close to totaling it. It completely missed my bumper so no airbag deploy. Minimal damage to left front quarter panel and as far as I am concerned none to the right. Hood is beyond repair. Got my condenser coil and power steering cooler. Grill is destroyed and what is worse my Bowtie is missing. Damn deer is probably wearing it. So I am looking for a grill with the back shell and also the Bowtie emblem. Found plenty of places that sell the grill but with no back shell. So does anyone know where I can get one cheap?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2292smll.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	39122
    Dan Westphal
    2001 Silverado Ext Cab 2wd
    Patriot Guard Rider of North Texas

Ugh, that's a bummer. At least you're ok.

You might take this as an opportunity to get a custom bowtie? (It takes some of the pain out of an accident when you get to upgrade or customize a little.) There's plenty of aftermarket ones ... from powder coated black to chrome to anodized.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Ugh, that's a bummer. At least you're ok.

You might take this as an opportunity to get a custom bowtie? (It takes some of the pain out of an accident when you get to upgrade or customize a little.) There's plenty of aftermarket ones ... from powder coated black to chrome to anodized.
    Yeah that is what I was going to do. Found a black powder coated Bowtie on ebay. I still can't find a back shell for the grill. I ordered a grill but it came with no back shell so it is going back. I wanted to go with a billet style grill.
    I am fortunate because I usually ride motorcycle so yeah it could have been bad. Deer could have been a little higher and it would have gone through my front window. So counting my blessing for sure.

Did that happen around Fort Worth?
    I havent seen any on the roadsides in the area for a few weeks so I was hoping they had slowed down their wandering with the warmer weather.
    Normally the deer around here are slightly larger than a german shephard and wont cause much damage, that one looks like he had some weight on him.
    Sorry to see that happen hope all comes out ok for ya.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Did that happen around Fort Worth?
    I havent seen any on the roadsides in the area for a few weeks so I was hoping they had slowed down their wandering with the warmer weather.
    Normally the deer around here are slightly larger than a german shephard and wont cause much damage, that one looks like he had some weight on him.
    Sorry to see that happen hope all comes out ok for ya.
    I was on 114 in Justin when it happened a couple of weeks ago about 7pm. If only I didn't pass a slow driver .... truck and deer would have been fine. That's what I get for being in a hurry. :(

Out on 377 near Bluff Dale last week I saw 5 medium sized deer lined up dead along the road, there were 3 others sticking their heads out of the brush looking at their buddies like hmmmmmmm do I really need to cross the road, hopefully they decided not to as I passed 6 motorcycles heading the other direction not 3 minutes later.
    You just never know whats around the next corner.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Out on 377 near Bluff Dale last week I saw 5 medium sized deer lined up dead along the road, there were 3 others sticking their heads out of the brush looking at their buddies like hmmmmmmm do I really need to cross the road, hopefully they decided not to as I passed 6 motorcycles heading the other direction not 3 minutes later.
    You just never know whats around the next corner.
    Thinkn about putting a deer whistle on my bike and truck.

I have one on the bike stashed under the headlight out of the way where you cant see it.
    Dont know how well they work but I havent kissed a deer yet.

Glad to hear you are ok. As was said before now you can make the front of your truck how you want it not how the general wanted it. @tbplus10 you said you have a whistle on your bike by the head light. Which of your bikes are you talking about and do you have any pics.
    I don't mean to hijack your thread Danow.

That's crazy. It never ceases to amaze me what an animal can do to a vehicle. And I've seen the deers run off after an accident like that before while the vehicle is disabled. Above all, as others have said, I'm glad you're ok.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by