GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Custom painted engine cover!

well, I knocked out one mod today, thought of it a while back.

what i did was fairly simple. I bought some stick on letters from advance auto parts, sanded them lightly to help the paint stick. (cleaned with brake cleaner to remove sanding dust) then I got out the krylon red I had left over from the rims and painted them. I initially was going to go chrome and leave the letters alone and just paint the VORTEC, but decided red might go better with the truck. Glad I did. saved me 3 dollars worth of paint to boot. the VORTEC logo was lightly sanded and painted as well.

But, Alex how DID you paint those letters? after i cleaned the cover, ( alos used some brake cleaner, works great!) well, I got some of the painters tape I had (also left over from the rim project lol) rolled them together so they were sticky on both sides. i made the patch of tape large enough for all 6 numbers, and stuck them to it. I taped down the edges of the rolled tape to help hold the edges down.

Two coats for the numbers and the letters. seemed to be enough, used a brush to do it. any more on the numbers and it would have looked thick. In hindsight, I would use some good red spray paint for a more even coat, but didnt want to spend more money, or make another stop. was busy enough today doing a things. the letters on the cover itself, definatly use a brush on, if you are toying with this yourself.

first pic is inside on the floor, then a close up in the engine bay, then a wider angle shot. sorry for the quality of the last two, they were taken with a flash outside in the dark. if you want more let me know, ill take more in the daylight.

enjoy, if you have any questions, let me know, as always compliments are appreciated.

enough out of me, PICTURES!!!!

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0174.jpg   IMAG0175.jpg   IMAG0177.jpg  

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

2-Thumbs-Up Alex........You did a Awesome Job.....the Engine Cover looks Great......

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Nice. Might have to borrow that one.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Very Cool.... Always wanted to do mine... Now you got me thinking......
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Um........Alex what engine have you got in your truck?
    Because according to GM our engines are actually 325 CID

Type: 5.3L Gen IV V-8 Small Block

Displacement: 5328cc (325 ci)

Engine Orientation Longitudinal

Compression ratio: 9.6:1

Valve configuration: Overhead valves

Valves per cylinder 2

Assembly site: Romulus, MI
    St. Catherines, Ontario

Valve lifters: Hydraulic roller

Firing order: 1 - 8 - 7 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3

Bore x stroke: 96.01 x 92mm

Fuel system: Sequential fuel injection

Fuel Type: Regular unleaded and E85 Flex Fuel

Applications: All listed models

Maximum Engine Speed: 6000 RPM

Emissions controls: Catalytic converter
    Three-way catalyst
    Positive crankcase ventilation

Applications:

Horsepower: hp ( kw )

Chevrolet Avalanche
    320 hp ( 239 kW ) @ 5400 rpm SAE CERTIFIED ( gasoline, as tested )

Chevrolet Suburban
    GMC Yukon XL
    Chevrolet Tahoe
    GMC Yukon
    326 hp ( 243 kW ) @ 5300 rpm SAE CERTIFIED ( E85 Flex Fuel, as tested )

Chevrolet Silverado
    315 hp ( 235 kW ) @ 5200 rpm SAE CERTIFIED ( gasoline, as tested )

GMC Sierra
    326 hp ( 243 kW ) @ 5300 rpm SAE CERTIFIED ( E85 Flex Fuel, as tested )

Block: Cast iron

Cylinder head: Cast aluminum

Intake manifold: Composite

Exhaust manifold: Cast nodular iron

Main bearing caps: Powder metal

Crankshaft: Cast nodular iron with undercut and rolled fillets

Camshaft: Hollow steel

Connecting rods: Powder metal

Additional features:

Active Fuel Management™
    E85 Flex Fuel
    Variable Valve Timing ( VVT )
    Electronic throttle control
    Extended life accessory drive belt
    Extended life coolant
    Extended life spark plugs
    Oil Life Monitor System

i see how it is, nothing but criticism.. lol. i realize that a 5.3 isnt a true 327 ci small block. more of a spiritual successor. but meh, most people dont know that a 5.3 isnt a true 327. i thought a 5.3 was a 327 for a long time.

Alex

Nah doesnt change the fact the cover looks good, and your right most people dont realize the 5.3 is a 325.

I didnt realize the 5.3 was a 325 until about a week ago I was verifying the CI because I was gonna get some pinstripe and airbrush work done on my truck incorporating "327 CI" on the sides of the hood, when I checked the GM Powertrain website I was actually surprised at the result.

You also missed something more important, your GMC is rated at 11HP more than a similarly equiped Chevrolet Silverado.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Nah doesnt change the fact the cover looks good, and your right most people dont realize the 5.3 is a 325.

I didnt realize the 5.3 was a 325 until about a week ago I was verifying the CI because I was gonna get some pinstripe and airbrush work done on my truck incorporating "327 CI" on the sides of the hood, when I checked the GM Powertrain website I was actually surprised at the result.

You also missed something more important, your GMC is rated at 11HP more than a similarly equiped Chevrolet Silverado.
    I think the HP rating is more because it was tested on E-85 where as the silverado was regular gas. Not sure why they would do that but that's what I noticed.

I too thought it was a 327 good to now otherwise.

Alex I like it. I am in the research phase of making some changes to my under hood plastic. I attempted a mod but the touch up paint that I got to make said mod was the wrong color. I even went with the color code in the glove box. The color came out gray instead of a grayish blue. Anyways. I like how the numbers stick out. Just a suggestion for ya. What about doing the raised parts by your numbers in red also?

what exactly do you mean by raised parts? i dont follow...

Alex

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by