GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rounded Out TORX Bolt on Transmission

I was trying to remove the shift cable bracket on the transmission of my 2002 Suburban (4L60E transmission) so I could remove the transmission pan and replace the filter. The rear bolt came out OK. While trying to remove the front bolt, my TORX socket broke and rounded out the bolt head.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the front bolt?

wow that sucker musta been in there tight!

is that the one with the screw "inside the tranny" ? if not and it still has a head on it try a pair of lock grips "vise grips" and lock on the head and turn..
    04 Tahoe LT 5.3L stock MSD 8.5mm Wires
    Gigbson Duels Straight Exhaust, Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
    K&N 77 Series CAI, Sirius Radio
    De-badged, Valet Dei remote start
    5000k HID -Higherlevelauto.com
    Federal 100watt air horn

A couple recomendations I'd try in the order their listed:

#1 File/Grind down the sides of the bolt head so you have two parallel surfaces then use an adjustable wrench to loosen it.

#2 Cut a slot across the center of the bolt and use a large flat bladed screw driver to loosen the bolt. Screw drivers with a squared shaft work best because you can use an adjustable wrench to get leverage on them.

#3 Drill the center and use an easy out.

#4 File/Grind the head off, remove the bracket, if theres enough of a stub remaining use locking Vice Grips to remove it. If there isnt enough of a stub use an easy out on it.

Using a little heat on the bolt and some penetrating oil may help loosen things up also.

I know exactly what bolt your talking about. Ive had a run in with this very same problem and i acually got lucky. I just droped down a size from the torx socket and went to a 6 point socket. It was a MAC socket and they have built into every socket engineering that helps with rounded bolts. I know that where this bolt is you cant get any cutting devices or a pair of vise grips. Bumer huh but try to drop to a 6 sided socket that fits tight and be strong and slow about putting torque on it. OH and the heat thing does help alot. Get one of those little MAPP gas torches from homedepot they work the best.
    2005 Chevy Silverado - Bright orange, 4.8L, 2wd, reg cab, short bed, Stock for now. :glasses:
    1967 Ford Mustang - Coupe, 200ci 6cyl w/minor upgrades, Stereo, Wheels, Interior, All other stock. White. First car and love her.

Former cars.
    1967 Ford Mustang - Coupe, 302 race prep, one bad ass car but she met her maker at the track :erf:
    1997 Ford Mustang Cobra - All stock, caused to much trouble with her. Well thats what the cops kept saying so i had to get rid of her.:grrrrrr: