GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Voltmeter and Fuel Gauge Wagging!!! Shop Is Confused!

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and just recently bought a 2000 blue x-cab 4 door z71 silverado LT with the 5.3 Vortec. After a few days of driving it I ran into a serious issue. I had it almost die on me and run rough for a few seconds in a parking lot upon start up and therfore took it to napa where they diagnosed the battery was low on cca so i replaced it. Directly after replacing it the voltmeter began to wag when driving it from 13 to 16 volts. Once that happened my shifts got really sloppy and my tow/haul mode stopped working. I then went back and re-replaced the battery thinking it was shorting out internally (no luck) So then i replaced the altenator (no luck) I took it to a shop and they said the multifunction switch was bad (knew that when i bought it) replaced it and... no luck. So at this point im stumped. It doesn't always have the two gauges wag (or shake if you will), i drove it for three days with no problem but they still do it sometime (also tow/haul still won't come on) Any help would be in-valuble!

Thanks, DacMan

Sr. Engineer

For it to show that much over charge would thick alternator. Or gauge is wrong... test alt.. and battery charge with meter .
    RESIDENT NUT.....MY CLAIM TO FAME .....

[QUOTE=dipstick;473792]For it to show that much over charge would thick alternator. Or gauge is wrong... test alt.. and battery charge with

Both Checked out by the shop i took it too. I just discovered one of the tow/haul mode had a broken wire, but it was contained within one of the wire holdowns so i dont think it was shorting out through anything.