GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Brakes went Kablooey

Hello all. Now that I finally have real air conditioning again something extremely odd happened to my brakes last night. As I was pulling into the driveway last night it felt like we bumped something. I was close to the fence so I thought I was nudging it but my son said he thought we ran over something.

Next thing I know the brake pedal is all the way out; I have to put a lot of pressure on it to make the brakes engage. I hear what sounds like air hissing at the brake pedal. Even after shutting off the engine I heard this hissing for a few pumps then it stopped. My son was hearing sounds coming from the front right.

There was no fluid on the ground this morning under the truck and a quick check of the master cylinder showed fluid. (I was in work clothes and didn't want to touch anything.)

I plan to put it up on a jack stand this evening and pull the front right tire off. Any ideas of what to check for? I just had a ton of work done to the brakes but it was down in Houston and I am back in Dallas now.

More details as I discover them, but any starting advice would be appreciated. I hope to see something obvious with the wheel off but who knows.

Thanks,
    95 Chevy Silverado
    Beat up by hail and a faulty tow truck
    5.7L V-8
    251,000 miles

Do you have the ABS block over the left front wheel? It could be bypassing and cycling it back into the master cylinder. Have someone step on the brake pedal to see if you have fluid movement in the master cylinder.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Jr. Mechanic

Yessir, I have an ABS Block, now that I know what it is. Expensive looking part! With the cap off the master cylinder when we pushed the brake pedal with the engine off and with it on, there was definitely movement in the fluid. One interesting thing; when my wife was pushing down on the brake pedal with the engine running, it revved up some. We repeated three times to make sure it wasn't just my imagination.

Sounds like you might have a bad vacum booster.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

sounds like the brake booster to me too.specialy if the brake petal is stiff.

Jr. Mechanic

Okay guys, thanks. I will do some checking on that. It would explain the hissing noises too.

Jr. Mechanic

Hello, all. You were correct; Vacuum Booster. I installed a new one and its fine now. My knowledge of the dash and panels was helpful as I was able to quickly get a few things out of the way to make it easier to work. I would have enjoyed a better set of deep metric sockets and extenders, but I managed.

One note to anyone taking this job on; make sure the push rod is on the correct side of the brake pedal before you re-install and tighten the 4 nuts. TRUST ME.

That's good that you fixed the problem.

Blog Entries

It's cool you found the problem, and even BETTER that you posted the solution. Thank you for that! Most people who post these types of threads find the solution and walk away.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."