GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Oil in Radiator, Oil in Coolant, Oil in Water

Hello

I have a 96 chevy k3500 with a 454 / 7400 and i am getting oil into the coolant. Engine runs fine, no smoke, no coolant in oil, had the radiator tested but all he did was put coolant pressure in the water side and check for bubbles in a flooded oil cooler, I wonder if the conditions change when it is at temperature and oil cooler has pressure. Does anyone know how much pressure is present in the cooler when engine is running.
    Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem?

Thankyou Tony

Engine oil pressure will run 20psi up to 60 or more psi, while the coolant would only be 12-14psi, I think.

What color is the "oil" in the radiator? Does it have red tint? Is it transmission coolant? Transmission lines have higher pressure than engine oil lines. I am not certain on your 96, but on my 2000, the engine oil cooler is not in the radiator, it is a seperate cooler. The trans cooler is in the radiator.

Good luck.
    Mark
    89 K Blazer 4" lift 35x12.5x15, warn hubs, cut out flares. Soon to have headers, posi carriers, gears.
    2000 K2500 Crew Cab 5.7 285/75R16's. 3" Body lift. Suspension parts being ordered.
    Lots more to do on both the trucks

And a bunch of fast Buicks

thanks mark

it is oil and black, not red from the transmission, there is deffinately an oil cooler in the radiator and i am hoping that is the problem. I took an other radiator apart to see what the cooler looks like, it doesnt look like something that should fail. that is why i am asking if anyone else found a solution to a problem like this.

Ok, I have not had an issue with one, so I can't answer that.
    I would say, it should be a good thing that the oil is in coolant, and not other way around.
    Mark
    89 K Blazer 4" lift 35x12.5x15, warn hubs, cut out flares. Soon to have headers, posi carriers, gears.
    2000 K2500 Crew Cab 5.7 285/75R16's. 3" Body lift. Suspension parts being ordered.
    Lots more to do on both the trucks

And a bunch of fast Buicks

amen to that
    thanks for your time