GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Aftermarket headliner

I have a 2006 Sierra, standard cab that needs a new headliner. A dealer website shows the GM part as $500!

Anyone know of an aftermarket headliner available?

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Get free backup service using Drop Box
    Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
    Bonus space provided using this link:
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 05-23-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I see your in NJ. Where? Anyway go to a good Sunroof shop and they can redo it for you. I know of a good one up here in Hackensack..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Just re-cover it yourself! It isn't hard to do and it will probably only set you back 30-40 bux. take the headliner board out of the truck, peel the old fabric off, clean off all of the foam padding, spray some adhesive (like 3M Super 77) on to the headliner board, then a light spray on the fabric. Let the glue become tacky and work it onto the board. If you don't spray BOTH pieces, it will likely fall down again. There are lotsa videos on you tube about it.

This is also the opportunity for you to customize your headliner.

Alternatively, you could probably get one at a junk yard cheap.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I will second Enkeiavalanche and advise to find an upholstery shop that does boat and auto upholstery. Call first, but around here that is who does them. I certainly recommend having a professional do the work. A mistake ridden headliner is no fun to see every time you get in and out of your rig. Should cost you under $200, maybe over that depending on material used. Mine cost $175, and I think some extra because I used an ultrasuede material that costs more. But the look is outstanding.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

I'm in the Mercer/Somerset area so going waaay up north to Hackensack is out.

I'm probably going to go with the 3M/fabric fix. Maybe I'll pull it out this weekend.

i redone the one in my 78 i found the head liner material on ebay for 45.00. cheapest place i found.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMwoodworks View Post

I'm probably going to go with the 3M/fabric fix. Maybe I'll pull it out this weekend.
    You should be able to go to your local fabric store and find something at a good price. Just remember to take your time and it will turn out great. Also, search youtube for some videos of people doing it. Let us know how it turns out!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Check out http://www.autosunroof.com/Locations.php They have shops all over the area and are very good at what they do...Have used them many times on show car projects..

Quote Originally Posted by RAMwoodworks View Post

JoAnns Fabric sells the foam backed headliner cloth. Temp solutions will not last as the adhesive didn't fail, the foam deteriorates and lets the fabric fall away.

The hard part is taking everything loose and getting the backer board our in one section. I'm in Mercer and if you can't find an upholstery shop, check out some local speed shops, like Stan Meyers on Rt 33 in Hamilton; that's where I bought my ExTang tarp.

They cover the spectrum from serious speed to the imports.
    Last edited by wis bang; 05-28-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.