GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Painting Bumper Caps and Grill - questions

Hey i am new to this and wanted to get into customizing my silverado. First thing i want to do is paint the front of my truck. I have an 08 silverado W/T and I wanted to paint the bumper caps and grille. Since it is the plastic would I be able to take it to have painted to the color of my truck, or would I need to get a chrome grille and have that painted?

Legend

Blog Entries

Bump...I changed the title of your thread to match your question/topic; hopefully this will generate some responses for you.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I think I would the paint would turn out better since it's plastic. I would take to a local body shop if I were you.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

I think the black plastic would be easier to paint also but I sanded my chrome one down & painted it black to match the truck. Black is sort of easy to color match although my grille center chrome bumper piece & lower plastic valance all have a slightly less glossy look compaired to the body but it works ok for me. If your trying to color match a different color then that would be a challenge. I would check out a body shop prices or maybe order a color matched part from GM. my body shop guy who paints my large pieces usually charges $200. Good luck with the customizing it can be fun & addictive, Autozone must think I huff paint since I buy so much now. One word of advice if your just starting out in painting is to start with small parts, but if you have experance then you should be teaching me. I have several pictures in my GMTC album some are works in progress.
    2007 Silverado RS, 4.8 V8, 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown
    Black painted front grille & bumper
    Black / red Painted bowties
    Black 18in. Silverado wheels
    Black / Red interior conversion (in process)
    89 Chevy Sport tribute decals

I have recently started to paint some of the parts on my truck. I would attempt to paint it myself the first time. If you mess it you were thinking of taking it to a body shop anyway. But I would go to a paint shop to get your materials if you do try it yourself. Good luck and post pics when you get it done.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    I have recently started to paint some of the parts on my truck. I would attempt to paint it myself the first time. If you mess it you were thinking of taking it to a body shop anyway. But I would go to a paint shop to get your materials if you do try it yourself. Good luck and post pics when you get it done.
    That is the best advice because how do you know if you don't try. & quality of the paints used makes a world of difference. I use the cheap wal mart paint on other projects where the quality is not needed & that stuff is junk, I have best luck with the duplicolor paints sometimes they look bad right after spraying but then they lay down nice when dry (with proper prep work of course)
    2007 Silverado RS, 4.8 V8, 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown
    Black painted front grille & bumper
    Black / red Painted bowties
    Black 18in. Silverado wheels
    Black / Red interior conversion (in process)
    89 Chevy Sport tribute decals