GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Big changes coming down the pipe!

Just wanted to let y'all know of some big changes coming for me, specifically dealing with my military career.

To start off, I've been a Sergeant for just over 4 years now. I just completed a course that I'm actually not required to complete till I'm a Staff Sergeant (SSG or E6). After I finished that course, my supervisor (SSG Duncan, who is the one who actually runs the supply cage in my unit and is a rank above me) suggested that I transfer to a different unit within the squadron and take over my own supply cage so that I can get promoted to E6. A few days before drill last weekend, we found out that E (or Echo in the phonetic alphabet) Troop's supply sergeant just retired. So my supervisor suggested Echo specifically and we decided to talk with Top and our S-4 officer about it first thing Saturday morning when we arrived at Squadron headquarters for duty.

So when we got there, he sent me off to do some other stuff and went to talk with them himself. He's the most experienced supply guy in the squadron and he has a lot of pull within our command structure. He explained to them that it was time for me to take over my own supply cage and get promoted to E6. Our S-4 officer (CPT Kendall) has known me for a long time and he and Top both agreed. CPT Kendall came to me and brought up the subject and mentioned to me that he was all for it. Then a little while later, Top pulled me off to the side and asked if that's what I wanted. I told him yes, that I needed to do it to get my 6 and he said that's what he needed to know.

From that point, word spread quickly as apparently Echo's 1SG spoke with some of his guys who know me and throughout Sunday several of my buddies from that unit mentioned that they heard I was coming to them. That evening, one of the guys who I know very well explained to me what was going on and the issues that would need to be addressed.

Monday, CPT Kendall let me know that the paperwork was done and would be approved next drill (first weekend of June). Since I already have orders to go to Fort Benning with my current unit for two weeks in July, my first drill with Echo will be in August. I spoke briefly with Echo's 1SG before we were released Monday and also spoke with the E4 who is currently in Supply there (who will be my supply clerk there). I will be talking to both a good deal in the next two and a half months before I officially take over so that once there I can hit the ground running.
    This is the opportunity I've been waiting for, and with me having completed ALC already will make it highly likely that I will get promoted to Staff Sergeant at the end of the year. Next drill will be my last with my current unit, so it will be a bittersweet moment. But as is said in the song "Closing Time," every new beginning is from some other beginning's end.

So that's what's going on with me. Definitely a big change and a great opportunity for me.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

grats dude! glad to hear things are working out for ya.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Congratulations!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Man Sarge, I am so happy for you. This is a great opportunity and a well deserved promotion. Sounds like you are ready to take the bull by the horns. Does the promotion come with a new Chevy truck of your choosing? Man this is such great news and I am so glad it is going your way my friend.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Master Mechanic

congrats man! moving on up in the world
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Congrats on the responsibility change. I'll congratulate you on the promotion only after you receive it ... as I'm prone to not counting chickens before they hatch.

Thats awesome Sarge! You deserve it. Congrats....does this mean you'll be changing your to SupplySSgt?

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

that's AWESOME! Keep us updated!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Grats on the move. Hopefully it will also pay off in a move up also.

LOL Don, no new truck. But more money to dump into my current one if/when I do get promoted. I have a plan for it, I just need to save up so I can get it done. Both my old 1SG and my new 1SG told me to have everything together to put in for promotion as soon as I get over there. I think the next promotion board convenes in December so that'll be the earliest I get promoted. Again, thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by