GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Blog Entries

Default Probably been answered, but I searched for nearly 2 hours this morn

I currently drive a 2012 Crew cab 4x4 which I am going to be doing a leveling kit ONLY to it and I would like to squeeze some 33's under there, but I want to know if this is doable with just buying tires. If it is not, then I can always buy smaller wheels and do it that way. I do however want something with an aggressive tread pattern for off road conditions.

Since I live in central Texas we do get decent amounts of rain (besides last years drought) and I do see the occasional mud. I just don't want to do a lift on it because it's become such a cliche here that i'd rather have a aggressive looking truck that can still plow through anything, including your girlfriend .

All joking aside, all I want to know what size tire I can fit under there with my stock chrome wheels which are 20's. Currently the truck came with 275/75/20 i think? Idk how tall the side wall is, i just know it's a 275.

I'd like to keep the stock wheels on because my truck has lots of chrome on it due to it being a Texas edition overly done.

Would it be more cost efficient to buy smaller wheels, in order to have a lower tire cost in the future? I know for sure that my initial purchase of wheels and tires will be high. However, I am a planner and if it's more cost efficient in the future to get smaller wheels because it cost less for the rubber, then that's what i'll do.
    Last edited by Ridyn; 07-04-2012 at 10:21 AM.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

You can not have 275/75/20 on there....that would be a 36" tire.

I believe the stock tire size for the 20" rim is 275/55/20 which is a 32" tire.

I have read that with a 2" leveling kit you should be able to fit 33" with no rubbing.

This is a good calculator for comparing tire sizes and how much your speedo will be off: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Smaller diameter wheels and smaller diameter / larger sidewall tires seem to always be cheaper than the larger diameter / less sidewall tires in the research I have one.

When I get new tires and rims I think I will be sticking with 17" but I will go from 265/70/17 to 285/70/17 If I can fit them. Which my research indicates I can.

2012 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 4.8L 4x4
    - Nitto Tera Grapler 265/70R17, Line-X bed liner, Black Bowties, Stampede front deflector, DeeZee black diamond plate bed rails, TonnoPro Lo-roll cover, Antenna deleted, Spyder Projection Headlights with Phillips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, Spyder Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Rough Country leveling kit, PlastiDip'd emblems, and wheel hubs, Diablosport Trinity, 20% tint, Black OEM grill

"Coming through in a new Chevy, droppin' game like it's too heavy."

Blog Entries

Thanks for clearing that up! I had no idea the tires I had were 32''...kinda depressing because they look so small and going up an inch is going to cost so much money...oh well it's worth it since I'll be able to do off road a bit more comfortably.

I might just get wider rims though, since I am thinking these are 8.5 or 9 inches wide, I would like something around the range of 10-12 which I'm sure I'd have to do something about the front rubbing at some point, but if there is a will there is a way.

I read somewhere and have in my notes that the largest 20" diameter tires you can fit with a 2.5" leveling kit are: 275/60/20 or 33x12.50

DO NOT SIMPLY TAKE MY WORD ON THIS

Please do your own research before buying as this is anecdotal evidence, not personal analysis.

Blog Entries

Oh ok, that's not bad at all. I'll definitely look that up and see what I find on that particular bit of information. How did your RoughCountry leveling kit work out for you? I was looking at it and liked how low price it was, but didn't know if it was worth it. What's your opinions on their leveling kit?

I have the 2" rough country leveling kit on mine, had it on for about a year so far and have had no problems with it..I'll be upgrading my tires and rims as well, going to go with 33" tires.

The kit is great in my opinion. Was and easy install for me and two friends, none of us had done a leveling kit before, though one guy is a mechanic. Took about 2 - 2.5hrs total, but we also drank plenty of beer and BS'd in that time.

We used a couple jackstands and some blocks to lift and support the truck while using a floor jack to hold up the brake assembly while we bolted the kit on.

The included directions are not perfect, but are pretty easy to follow.