GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 93 Burb. Doors will lock, but not unlock with switch???

Weirdest thing, the unlock switch appears to be not working on both driver and passenger door. The doors lock, but won't unlock. I can manually move the slide, but the power switches seem to only work in one direction. All the fuses are ok under the dash, but I didn't expect a bad fuse due to the LOCK function working just fine.

It is possible that you have a bad relay for the unlock function. I will try to find a schematic for you.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...96b43f80c90e70

You may have to create an account to access the diagrams. I would get a multimeter and start tracking down the issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0996b43f80231a0a.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	39931
    Last edited by Pikey; 05-25-2012 at 07:43 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Do you know where the door lock relay is located?

And what is the convenience center?

Relay is located:
    Front seating area, driver side, behind dash, passenger side of brake pedal support, mounted in relay block .

I don't know what the convenience center is. It could be referring to the fuse or relay box?

I have a very similar issue on my suburban, but, I'm pretty sure my issue is related to the locks being 20+ years old and very tired. Might try the relay though.

As for the convenience center... If you find it, lemme know. I have literally torn a 99 dually apart looking for the mythical device and never found it.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I was thinking that the convenience center is the driver side switch array. In most instances, it's a black wire to ground in the diagram. I just assumed it's the control center for all the doors and windows, so it's the convenience center. Not sure though.

my 88 has the same issue. I thought it was normal.
    I can lock it with the power door lock but no power unlock. I use the key :(

I actually replaced the right power door lock with a "new" used one and same thing.

Yeah, I'd look at relays. If it goes one way, but not the other, I wouldn't put the actuator at the top of my list. If it manually works both ways, I wouldn't put the handles or linkage at the top of my list. Relays are definitely a primary suspect and pretty cheap/easy to replace.
    I like you.

The door panels are easy to pull off. Do it and see if the actuator(s) are even trying to unlock. They do get tired and often only work in one direction when they start to fail. My Barn doors wouldn't lock or unlock. Rear passenger doors, both lock, and try to unlock. Cleaned and oiled them up, now one unlocks. Front seat locks both work good.
    Oddly, when locked the rear passenger doors will not unlock manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptime View Post
    The door panels are easy to pull off. Do it and see if the actuator(s) are even trying to unlock...
    and, if they aren't even trying to move at all to unlock, but can lock just fine, it points to something else, like a relay or switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by