GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: need more HP!

Default need more HP!

Hey, my buddy was telling me about a chip that he had for his sierra that was untraceable when plugged into diagnostics. He said it gave him 30-40+HP. Does this exist?

I'm looking to do some HP mods but I'm not going to do anything thats really "involved" right now. Does anyone have any simple ideas for easy HP gains?

Gas or diesel?

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Gas...
    5.3l

Sr. Apprentice

i barely gained 20hp with my programmers built in tune but got more out of it with a custom tune we made. but mine is defiantely traceable. its a diablosport predator. easy hp mods are cold air intake,tuner,exhaust,mild cam if you can afford it. theres limitless options its just how much are you willing to spend

Most HP mods will void vehicle warranty if the mod is found to cause the problem - Be careful
    Richard (Winnipeg, MB Canada) - 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x2 (Carbon Black Metallic) -Z71 - 5.3 L V8 - 3.42's
    Leer 100R truck cap; Chrome clad aluminum wheels (18"); custom cat-back dual side exits (4" diameter Magnaflow SS tips) exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler (18"); Cloud Rider stainless steel grill overlay

Most mods will void the warrantee that change it from the way the factory built sold as configuration... Larger tires, lift kits, elective fans etc. It depends on how pricky your dealer may be. I put a bully dog gts tuner on my truck... It really wakes her up.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    Most mods will void the warrantee that change it from the way the factory built sold as configuration... Larger tires, lift kits, elective fans etc. It depends on how pricky your dealer may be. I put a bully dog gts tuner on my truck... It really wakes her up.
    That's not entirely accurate. Check out this (http://www.fullthrottleperformance.c..._warranty.html) explanation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by carbon black View Post
    Most HP mods will void vehicle warranty if the mod is found to cause the problem - Be careful
    Correct. The manufacturer has to be able to prove that your modification caused the factory part in question to fail.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

My information came directly from speaking with a GM rep... I was inquiring about replacing the mechanical fan and a couple other mods. Off course they would have to prove it... But what extent will that be? Examples... Awe your transmission failed... They noticed you replaced the cooling fans... It easy to say you burned it out due to inadequate temp control. Your bearings or transfer case failed... We see you are running 35 inch tires... And your truck was originally equiped with 32's. It is up to the the dealership... What extent are they really going to go? It could be a battle.

Jr. Mechanic

I understand the point you are trying to make but saying "Most mods will void the warrantee that change it from the way the factory built sold as configuration" is just not even close to being true. There are tons of mods that are very unlikely to effect your warranty. For example... CAT back exhaust, cold air intake, shocks, LED lighting, etc...
    My Jeep Wrangler had 33s (31s were the stock tire) and Chrysler replaced a wheel bearing no questions asked.

I am just relaying what was said directly between me and the rep/tech His specific words were to me that any changes to the sold as configuration even it it were to improve the vehicle can and may void any warrantee. I understand that the cold air intake and exhaust are minor changes and most will overlook... But if that specific dealer were to be pricks one could be holding the bill. People just need to be aware of.this info when doing mods. Anyone can contact GM directly with any questions... Which they have a link on their website. They will contact you within 24 hrs.