GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default My truck cuts off for no apparent reason.....

So.....what I have is a 1995 Chevy K2500 4x4 5.7 gas standard cab pickup.....

It is pretty much factory stock.....has about 115,XXX miles.....

So.....here is the problem.....

I don't drive it everyday (mainly because of this problem).....

I can drive my truck for days or weeks and it will have no issues.....I drove it in the deep snow that we had in 2010 and 2011 with no issues.....

However.....on occasion it will just cut off.....

I can cruise along at 25 M.P.H. or 60 M.P.H. and for no obvious reason it will just cut off.....no hesitation.....no stalling.....just cuts off.....

It will usually start right back up.....but sometimes I have to pull over and wait for 15 minutes or even an hour before it will start again.....

It seems to always cut off in the worst spots.....where I cannot get out and check the problem on the spot.....I usually have to coast to a pull off spot and by then it starts back up.....

Here is what I have done to it so far.....

I discovered that when it cuts off it was not getting fuel.....the pump was not running.....so.....since I bought the truck used and did not have any of it's service history.....and with 110,XXX on it.....I decided to replace the fuel pump and filter.....the truck ran great for about 3 or 4 months.....

Then the problem occurred again.....this time the fuel pump relay was hot.....

So I replaced the relay and the truck ran for a couple of months with no issues.....

However.....the problem returned.....and still occurs on occasion.....

There is no weather or traffic situations that I can relate to the occurance of the problem.....

I have tried to make the problem occur.....but I have not been able to make it happen.....it just does it when it wants to do it.....

So.....any suggestions or solutions would be very helpful.....

Thanks.....
    Last edited by GETFURIOUS; 05-27-2012 at 01:37 PM.

A relay getting hot normally means you have a bad ground or an unintended ground, i.e. a short.
    Check and clean the grounds first, to eliminate this as a problem, then you'll need to get out the multi meter and start checking voltages.
    Could be just a little nick in a wire harness causing this problem so look carefully at all the wires.
    If you have a wire you suspect you may be able to bypass it with a jumper wire.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    a relay getting hot normally means you have a bad ground or an unintended ground, i.e. A short.
    Check and clean the grounds first, to eliminate this as a problem, then you'll need to get out the multi meter and start checking voltages.
    Could be just a little nick in a wire harness causing this problem so look carefully at all the wires.
    If you have a wire you suspect you may be able to bypass it with a jumper wire.
    Thanks.....but.....

All ground wires were checked several times.....and there was no problem found.....

Also.....the fuel pump relay wires were visually checked.....but I did not remove the
    wires from the fuse/relay block and inspect them from the underside.....

I guess that will be my next step.....

B-T-W.....I was told that the oil pressure switch could cause this same problem.....
    Is there a way to test this switch prior to just replacing it?....I did unplug it to see
    if the truck would start while it was unpluged.....and it started just fine.....

I will tell you exactly what it is. 95% chance. Electronic ignition module. I have had this problem before and that is exactly how it does. I have also seen other people with this problem and that fixed it every time. Good luck man. Post and let us know when you fix it.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donyms View Post
    i will tell you exactly what it is. 95% chance. Electronic ignition module. I have had this problem before and that is exactly how it does. I have also seen other people with this problem and that fixed it every time. Good luck man. Post and let us know when you fix it.
    Thanks for the help.....

I wonder if I can find a test proceedure in the Chilton's or Alldata to help
    determine if the module is bad or going bad.....if not.....then.....

I will get a new module and keep it with me.....when the truck shuts off.....
    I will hopefully be able to swap out the parts on the spot and see if that solves the problem.....

I will certainly post the cause once I solve the problem.....