GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: More Power

Default More Power

I'm going to be installing a new trans in my 90 Burb soon and after that I would like to upgrade my ignition system, any suggestions on coils, wires, distributors and the like, I've seen quite a few different products, I have gotten great advice from you folks before and I'm sure someone out there has the right answer or at least a good suggestion.

I use MSD products when possible, and have heard some good from Mallory. I never use Accel stuff.

If your wires are old, you will get the best improvement for the dollar with those. If your coil output is good, and your engine is stock, you will just be getting newer stuff if you replace distributor and coil. You could recurve your distributor to get the mechanical advance in quicker, and that would help it perform better.
    Mark
    89 K Blazer 4" lift 35x12.5x15, warn hubs, cut out flares. Soon to have headers, posi carriers, gears.
    2000 K2500 Crew Cab 5.7 285/75R16's. 3" Body lift. Suspension parts being ordered.
    Lots more to do on both the trucks

And a bunch of fast Buicks

Sr. Apprentice

My recommendation is a MSD Blaster Coil, a set of good 8mm wires, and a new distributor cap and rotor button. Throw in a set of new plugs, and you'll be all set. I wouldn't recommend a stand-alone ignition system like an MSD, Crane or Accel... unless you have a power plant under the hood that "really" needs the RPM Limit/Step controls the boxes offer; they don't show any improvements on a stock engine.
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes.