GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Silverado Chugging

My 2003 Silverado 2500HD starts right up every time. Every winter, after start, chugs for a few minutes until it gets warm. Sometimes it chugs at idle even after it's warm in the winter. Occasionally, it throws the code P0101, P0171 and P0174 (mass or volume air flow circuit range/performance problem; system too lean bank 1; system too lean bank2).

It's been that way for years in the winter.

A few weeks ago it threw the flashing check engine light the highway at 70 mph. It blinked a few times and went off. A few minutes later it blinked a few times and went off again. It only does it on the highway over 70 or with the trailer hooked up going up a hill, so under a load.

When I plugged up after this I had the codes listed above (they always come back) and P0300 (random multiple misfire) and P1516 (Throttle Actuator Conrtol Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance).

After it started doing this recently, I changed the plugs and wires and replaced the intake manifolds and their gaskets. It stopped the ticking from the leak there, but the problem hasn't changed.

Any suggestions as to where I should start looking/replacing?

Legend

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if you already have these answers but if not, you may find them helpful......

P 0300 Possible causes
    - Faulty spark plug (s)
    - Faulty ignition coil (s)
    - Ignition coils harness is open or shorted
    - Ignition coils poor electrical connection
    - Clogged or faulty fuel injectors
    - Injectors harness is open or shorted
    - Injectors poor electrical connection
    - Improper spark plugs
    - Insufficient cylinders compression
    - Incorrect fuel pressure
    - Intake air leak

When is the code detected?
    Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    Symptoms
    - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
    - Lack/loss of power
    - Hard start
    - Engine hesitation

P0300 Description
    When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

P1516 Possible causes
    - Poor circuit connection - Check Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module connector for water
    - Faulty Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module

When is the code detected?
    The Engine Control Module (ECM) has detected an out of range condition between the predicted and actual throttle position
    Symptoms
    - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
    - No throttle response

P1516 CHEVROLET Description
    The Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module contains data which is essential for proper TAC operation. The TAC module continuously test the integrity of this data. When the TAC module is unable to write or read data to and from random access memory (RAM), or the TAC module is unable to correctly read data from the flash memory or and internal TAC module processor fault is detected and the Detected Trouble Code (DTC) is set.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by ponyplr View Post
    My 2003 Silverado 2500HD starts right up every time. Every winter, after start, chugs for a few minutes until it gets warm. Sometimes it chugs at idle even after it's warm in the winter. Occasionally, it throws the code P0101, P0171 and P0174 (mass or volume air flow circuit range/performance problem; system too lean bank 1; system too lean bank2).

It's been that way for years in the winter.

A few weeks ago it threw the flashing check engine light the highway at 70 mph. It blinked a few times and went off. A few minutes later it blinked a few times and went off again. It only does it on the highway over 70 or with the trailer hooked up going up a hill, so under a load.

When I plugged up after this I had the codes listed above (they always come back) and P0300 (random multiple misfire) and P1516 (Throttle Actuator Conrtol Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance).

After it started doing this recently, I changed the plugs and wires and replaced the intake manifolds and their gaskets. It stopped the ticking from the leak there, but the problem hasn't changed.

Any suggestions as to where I should start looking/replacing?
    I have a 97 Ford F150 that threw the P0171 and P0174 frequently. It had about 223k miles on it, so I checked the two upstream oxygen sensors. They were both bad so I replaced them with the expensive ones. It cleared that problem right up, and also a little idling problem that I thought was an IAC. I haven't had a problem or those codes either since, well over a year. Wouldn't hurt to check them out.

Would have never believed it, but adjustments to the Cam position sensor solved the problem. I ended up having to take her to the dealer. They were so shocked they didn't even charge me for diagnostics.