GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default truck did something weirdly awesome today......

Well my average mpg on my truck is 14.7 for the 9k miles it has on it but today for about 15 minutes my decided to stay in 4 cylinder.... Getting 40+ mpg the time...this ever happen to anyone else?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-29_06-27-12_163.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	40108
    Adam
    11 Silverado Summit White Ext. Cab 5.3L Z71 9k miles
    RC leveling kit
    Jason fiberglass tonneau cover
    Penda-liner
    Superchips 91 octane tune
    Front air dam removed
    6,000k lowbeams 6,000k fogs
    color match bowties
    color match mudflaps
    20% tint all the way around
    20% tinted 6in sunshade
    Nitto terra grappler 275/70r17 (winter setup)
    Chevy 22s with Bridgestone Alenza 285/45r22 (summer setup)
    Kenwood DNX6180 indash

That's your "instant" mpg, meaning, for the instant you are looking at the DIC.

Change to the "average" mpg to see if staying in V4 made any diff. Probably not, you only drove for maybe 15 miles in V4, 15 is a very low percentage of 9,000.

Or, have I mis-understood your question? Are you asking if any others have noticed the truck staying in V4 for 15 min?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Yeah mine has done that. You know this only means you didn't have your foot in the pedal. If your at a low cruising speed and your truck doesn't get a heavy load on it, it should do that regularly. But if your anything like me you like to feel and hear that power keeping in V8. Your experience is only a testament that if your not in a hurry you could get better gas mileage. The fact that you've never seen your truck do this before means that you like getting were your going. Slow down and you should see this more often.
    Last edited by LOVINTHESTORM; 05-29-2012 at 11:07 PM.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

I was just asking if anyone has been in low displacement mode for that long? Usually its less than minute at a time for me
    Adam
    RC leveling kit
    Penda-liner
    Front air dam removed
    color match bowties
    color match mudflaps
    20% tinted 6in sunshade
    Kenwood DNX6180 indash

mine has done that from time to time. around here its hard to stay in V4 mode due to traffic, but ive had a few minutes from time to time. ive seen as high as 50 a few times.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Yah traffic and always going around 80 mph are my down fall apparently haha
    Adam
    RC leveling kit
    Penda-liner
    Front air dam removed
    color match bowties
    color match mudflaps
    20% tinted 6in sunshade
    Kenwood DNX6180 indash

Quote Originally Posted by sevi084x4 View Post
    Yah traffic and always going around 80 mph are my down fall apparently haha
    Hard to get the 4cyl mode doing 80. I can't say I've seen it stay in that mode for that long, but I drive all local roads, or usually am in traffic.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

On my commute to work most days I set the cruise at 63mph and it'll usually kick into V4 a mile from the on ramp and stay there for about the next 18 miles when I have to climb a slight rise, for the next 14 miles after that it's on and off. In V4 the instant MPG usually runs about 27mpg, my avg mpg has been steady at 19 for about 8K miles.

As far as the instant econ goes, I have gotten mine to say 99mpg going down a steep hill with the truck in neutral. I have also had it say 1mpg going up the same hill with my foot on the floor. I always leave mine on average econ. The instant seems worthless to me as it varies so much. Up an incline on the freeway it goes down to 8 down the otherside it goes up to 30.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Mine won't stay in 4cyl mode unless going down hill. Even on a flat going 60mph it will only do 4cyl mode for a few seconds at a time. My buddy's truck can do it for miles and his is stock.

Can you get the ECU flashed or hyper tech chip or something to hold it in 4cyl mode more? I can't step on the gas more than about 1/8" and it kicks into V8 mode. I've love it if the 1st 1/2" (up to 1/4 or 1/3rd throttle) of pedal movement.

Quote Originally Posted by sevi084x4 View Post
    Well my average mpg on my truck is 14.7 for the 9k miles it has on it but today for about 15 minutes my decided to stay in 4 cylinder.... Getting 40+ mpg the time...this ever happen to anyone else?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-29_06-27-12_163.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	40108

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast