GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: ac bypass

Default ac bypass

i have a 1998 350 tbi chevy truck and on my way to work the compressor locked up. is there a belt i can use to bypass the ac compressor

Quote Originally Posted by chris77 View Post
    i have a 1998 350 tbi chevy truck and on my way to work the compressor locked up. is there a belt i can use to bypass the ac compressor
    I am pretty sure that your owners manual will have a belt listed for "without AC". If not go to your autoparts store they will be able to tell you the correct one. I checked the autozone site for your truck. It lists multiple belts for your truck with no ac. It depends on your alternator size. The alternator sizes they list with the length of the belt are: 100, 105 no size listed , 120 amp Effective Length (in): 95.08 , 140amp Effective Length (in): 88
    Last edited by Pikey; 05-30-2012 at 02:41 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Good luck with this. I don't believe you can usually get by with such things on a Chevy.
    Good Luck and God Bless
    Remember that if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem!

They do sell a contraption that is a bypass pulley on LMCtruck.com if you wanted to go that route that bolts on to where the compressor goes. You wouldn't have to downsize your belt and its still routed correct. However, it is more expensive than just going with a smaller belt.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Not all of the 98s had AC. They do have a belt that is for trucks without AC. It will work fine.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)