GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Lightbulb Is the 1999 Tahoe 2dr 4x4 for soccer moms? Or is it good for off-road adventures?

Im looking for a new truck, but have been told not to bother buying a Blazer/Tahoe after 1996, and that they are junk. Even die-hard Chevy fans say that compared to a 96' or earlier, the new Tahoes have soccer mom suspension. So, do the new Tahoes, specifically the 99', have soccer mom suspension, or are they just as good as any Blazer/Tahoe? My options are to buy a 94' Blazer or 99' Tahoe, both 2dr and 4x4. Which has better suspension? thanks everybody!

Chevy Tahoe Parts

I had a 94 blazer. I assure you, with little work, you can make it an off-road worthy vehicle.
    At first it def had a super soft spongey ride. But with good tires, shocks, and a few turns on the torsion keys, the truck was ready to hit the dirt.

I'd like to meet the soccer mom that would drive this...6.5TD, straight exhaust, heath boost controler and chip...I miss my Blazer...
    2002 Silverado LS 4x4

I just re-read your post...I think the suspensions stock for all those years are pretty soft. I don't think they changed much...All torsion bar IFS, and leafs in the rear.
    I got a little excited before when I saw 94 blazer...made me feel nostalgic.
    I used your post to throw my blazers pic out there...sorry...haha

thats a deeeeesil???
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

The suspension has definately gotten softer. But the majority of these vehicles will never see dirt, from a marketing standpoint it makes sense to tailor them towards the crowd that buys the most.
    With a little time, money, and expertise these model trucks can become terrific off-roaders. I was just reading an article about spacers and torsion keys being used to lift and stiffen GM suspensions, the nice thing about them was the cost was under $300 for a 3 inch lift.
    Very few vehicles, no matter who the manufacturer is, come from the factory ready to play hard off road. Even Jeep has tailored their product line towards the street.
    Chevy OEM Parts

I have a 99 Suburban and below are pictures from when I got two years ago and how it sits now. I have spent about $2,000 in suspension, tires, wheels and accessories. I do not hesitate to take this truck anywhere. It rides like a 4 wheel drive should, stiff, but won't rattle your teeth.

Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Yeah, my truck had the 6.5TD...It was a pig compared to my friends new duramax so i spent some money on it. Heath diesel chip and boost controler, 4" downpipe, custom exhaust (no muffler) Marine injectors. When it was all said and done, it ran with the Dmax. stock they make 5-6psi boost. With the heath chip and controler, I ran 14-15 safe. I had a water injection kit, but i never needed it. EGTs never went up.
    I loved taking it off-road. the 285's that were on it gave me clearence to get through some fun stuff..I wheeled with a few freinds with jeeps. I was the "support" truck...I made it though more things then they did..I'm not saying Its as good off-road as a jeep by any means though. I'm saying my friends suck at wheeling...haha..
    Nothing stock is ever really good off-road...unless its a Rubicon, power-wagon, or HV. You're going to have to put some money into whatever you decide on.
    Chevy Parts

cool, thanks for all the info! that was quick too! i am going to look at a 99' Tahoe 2dr 4x4 on saturday. the lady only wants $5000, wit 113k miles...and its clean too. the only problem that im looking at, is the abs brake recalls out for just about every Blazer/Tahoe, any year. it seems that they eat chevy brake for lunch. does anyone have problems with brakes on their Blazer/Tahoe that are safety issues? how often do you replace brakes on these beasts? Oh, and to you SlimyAvacado...thats a nice truck!!! i like it!