GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Air bags help for towing - best Chevy options?

So I am in the market for for air bags to help with towing. I've been looking around and I like Air Life Ride control, and Total Load control.

What do you guys use and what do you think about them?
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 05-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    2011 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
    LED Dome light
    LED Floor lights
    RC Leveling kit
    Tow Mirrors Custom LED running/signal lights
    BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover

Jeremy09LTZCrew won a Total Load Control system in last year's spring contest. Unfortunately he was deployed in Afghanistan at the time (and probably still isn't back, as he's been on/off the radar screen only sporadically in the last year), so we never got to hear about it. :(

I used to be a huge fan of air bags for tow applications until Surrealone recommended RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension), since then Ive used it on my Silverado, Tacoma, and one ton Chevy dually tow vehical.
    The Dually originally had bags that were deteriorating and needing replacment, it was cheaper to replace than repair and the truck does a much better job towing now.

I didn't point out RAS because @Jaele seemed rather intent on air bags and I know better than to try to change someone's mind once it's made up. However, since it's been mentioned, Jaele, be advised that there's a review I posted, here, pertaining to RAS. It also mentions a discount and how to get it. I do not know if this far out from the review if they will still honour it (it's been a good while), but if you're willing to entertain a mechanical system you should search for the review and give it some consideration ... and if you elect to pursue RAS as a solution give them a call per the data in the review.

Thanks @SurrealOne and @tbplus10 for the info. I'm not set on one particular system yet. Ive recently purchased a new and larger trailer and I don't like how the truck sags a little in the rear so I am looking at correcting the problem.

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaele View Post
    Thanks @SurrealOne and @tbplus10 for the info. I'm not set on one particular system yet. Ive recently purchased a new and larger trailer and I don't like how the truck sags a little in the rear so I am looking at correcting the problem.

I ran Firestone Ride-Rites on my Dodge for well over 200k miles...they performed well. One thing to remember about airbags is that they will tend to cause a "pogo" effect if you are loaded really heavy and have a lot of air in the bags.

Okay so I ordered one of these

http://www.totalloadcontrolsuspensions.com/

Trying to see if i can get if before this weekend.

Cant wait to get it installed.

Sounds like you need to photo-shoot the install and write-up something.

It will come.

So far I'm in love with the company, shot them an email this morning trying to figure out a way to get it before Thursday afternoon so I could use it this weekend. They sent me an email with a number to call. So I called and they said they could meet me half way(driving) they are located about 3.5hr from me. With that said I will be picking it up tomorrow after work and a 1.5hr drive to meet them in Lodi CA.

Still cannot believe they are going to meet me half way, I personally have never had a company go that far to help me out.

I run Firestone bags on my Suburban. They work well and help me tow my 10,000 pound camper. Here's a thread that I did chronicalling the installation of them: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...air-springs%29
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by