GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Each motor has 4 legs which are soldered to the board through the back. The position for the trans temp motor is clean with no solder on it in the models that did not have that option. The connections are present. Yes, you will need to remove the needles from all of the other gauges. manually turn them counter clockwise until they stop. Mark their position on the overlay. Use a standard table fork to pop the needles off. Remove the overlay, solder the motor in and put the new overlay in. putting each needle back on it's shaft, apply them lightly and then make sure the shafts are still full counter clockwise. then dial the needle to the same position it was on the original overlay and press them on. You should be good to go.
    I think I've found one flaw in this methodology: if I mark the position of the needles on the old overlay ... and then remove the needles, emplace a new overlay, and replace the needles ... the new overlay lacks the marks made on the old one...

It's not that precision. Get them close and life is good. I had mine off several times and never bothered to mark them.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    It's not that precision. Get them close and life is good. I had mine off several times and never bothered to mark them.
    Sounds like a good topic for discussion this Saturday. You'll make it, yes?

Yes. I will be there... Trying to get some help with my cat since the truck slows dramatically when hot... I might be showing up in my 1500 Express conversion instead... Either way, I will be there!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Blog Entries

I'm probably late and this has probably already been answered but I am lazy and would rather type than read so here you go.

The milage can be restored to the correct numbers if you get a certified dealer/shop to match your cluster, and the title also has to read that the cluster has been changed. However, there must be a reason as to why the gauge cluster was changed otherwise you can prosecuted for fraud if you ever decide to trade/sell the vehicle. However, if you're not going to do such thing just write down the miles you currently have, write down the miles on the new cluster if any, and then use simple math to calculate where your mileage is going to be at in xxx,xxx miles from now!

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

I know the dealer has the ability to flash the odometer and make it read whatever mileage they want it to read. I am not sure if they will only do it with a new cluster that came from them or if they will let you bring in a used one. It probably largely depends on the mood of the service writer and/or state laws I presume.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12