GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Default What's involved with an instrument cluster replacement?

    I own a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT. There is nothing currently wrong with my instrument cluster. However, I'd like to replace it with one that has a transmission temperature gauge, as I understand that my vehicle is pre-wired to support this gauge. I have read that the truck's mileage and engine hours are stored in the gauge cluster. I'd like to know the following:


    1. What is the part number of the gauge cluster I should order?
    2. What is involved with getting the new gauge cluster's mileage and engine hours to match that of my old gauge cluster after the swap?
    3. If a dealership must do the programming how much should I expect to pay for the service?
    4. If a dealership must do the programming do I need to remove the custom tune on my truck prior to the work?


    Thank you in advance for reading and for guidance.

    Surreal

  2. #2

    Default

    When I first got my truck my instrument panel was messing up so I called the dealership and asked what I should do. I can't answer your 1 + 2 question but I was quoted that it would cost 100 bucks to reprogram the new cluster! And a new cluster was going to be 200-300! So I quickly decided to replace all the stepper motors myself for $25 and its been good ever since! Also yes you'll wanna put in back to stock tune before you take it in!

    2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    When I first got my truck my instrument panel was messing up so I called the dealership and asked what I should do. I can't answer your 1 + 2 question but I was quoted that it would cost 100 bucks to reprogram the new cluster! And a new cluster was going to be 200-300! So I quickly decided to replace all the stepper motors myself for $25 and its been good ever since! Also yes you'll wanna put in back to stock tune before you take it in!
    Stock tune is never fun since I'm regeared and lifted with big tires; i.e. idiot lights and speedo error when the stock tune's installed.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I own a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT. There is nothing currently wrong with my instrument cluster. However, I'd like to replace it with one that has a transmission temperature gauge, as I understand that my vehicle is pre-wired to support this gauge. I have read that the truck's mileage and engine hours are stored in the gauge cluster. I'd like to know the following:


    1. What is the part number of the gauge cluster I should order?
    2. What is involved with getting the new gauge cluster's mileage and engine hours to match that of my old gauge cluster after the swap?
    3. If a dealership must do the programming how much should I expect to pay for the service?
    4. If a dealership must do the programming do I need to remove the custom tune on my truck prior to the work?


    Thank you in advance for reading and for guidance.

    Surreal
    Surreal,

    You can buy one from your dealer, however, they can be expensive and you have to return the EXACT core for the cluster your buying. I did find this link:

    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...003&vi=1412075


    A local dealership should be able to look up a part number for you and you can search for that on the web. The dealerships here charge around $155.00 to program the cluster.

    If your only programming the cluster your custom tune should be ok, however, if they discover there is an update to your computer they could flash over the custom tune and you would need to have it reinstalled.


    GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

    If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

    Get the Gorilla!

    gorilladip.com

    sales@gorilladip.com

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks!

  6. #6

    Default

    Get a junk yard unit with the gauge you want. Take both clusters apart and put the stepper motor in place inside your cluster where it came out of the junk yard cluster. Use the junk yard cluster gauge overlay template and re-assemble. Should be as simple as that, and you don't have to worry about reprogramming the odometer since you didn't change the actual cluster.

    BTW: Great time to swap out the backlighting with LEDs...
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

    Check out my image gallery HERE.



    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Get a junk yard unit with the gauge you want. Take both clusters apart and put the stepper motor in place inside your cluster where it came out of the junk yard cluster. Use the junk yard cluster gauge overlay template and re-assemble. Should be as simple as that, and you don't have to worry about reprogramming the odometer since you didn't change the actual cluster.

    BTW: Great time to swap out the backlighting with LEDs...
    Are you sure dropping in a stepper motor will be sufficient? I'd also need a gauge overlay that has the temp markings, I'd think -- which entails removing -all- of the gauge needles to emplace, as I understand it. How bad are the stepper motors to (dis)assemble? (Is this snap-in or solder-in?)

  8. #8

    Default

    Each motor has 4 legs which are soldered to the board through the back. The position for the trans temp motor is clean with no solder on it in the models that did not have that option. The connections are present. Yes, you will need to remove the needles from all of the other gauges. manually turn them counter clockwise until they stop. Mark their position on the overlay. Use a standard table fork to pop the needles off. Remove the overlay, solder the motor in and put the new overlay in. putting each needle back on it's shaft, apply them lightly and then make sure the shafts are still full counter clockwise. then dial the needle to the same position it was on the original overlay and press them on. You should be good to go.

  9. #9

    Default

    I have replaced mine in my 2005 Silverado. You can look at the pics I have posted. I got mine from http://www.fixmygauges.com/ I paid $240 for the SS style cluster with the trans temp gauge. They do all of the programming for you. All of the info is on their website. They are great people to deal with. You will have to send a deposit which will be refunded when they receive your old one or you can send the old one first and they will ship your replacement when they receive yours. Overall, it was a great experience dealing with them. If you have any questions, they are extremely nice and helpful over the phone. I hope this helps.
    2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    8in ProComp Suspension Lift, 4in Shackle Flip Kit, 3in Performance Products Body Lift, 17x9 Moto Metal wheels, 35x12.50x17 ProComp Xterrains, K&N cold air intake kit, Custom 3in exhaust, GoRhrino Black spring loaded steps, Truxedo Bed Cover, "SS" style Instrument Cluster with blue pointers and Trans Temp Gauge, JVC indash touchscreen DVD player, 2 MTX 10in subwoofers, Sony Xplode 1000watt amp, Radio Shack CB with dual black whips, Optima yellow top battery

  10. #10

    Default

    Thanks, guys. That provides some options...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Instrument Cluster
    By rtc830 in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 04:23 PM
  2. NBS Instrument Cluster
    By loder in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 12:12 AM
  3. New Instrument Cluster??
    By GOTSAND4ME2 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM
  4. Instrument Cluster
    By skhurst18 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 08:50 AM
  5. instrument cluster
    By operatortom in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 01:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •