GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Rear end noise

Default Rear end noise

Got some rear end noise development yesterday and finally got the jckstands back from my brother today so I put the old Coors up with her butt in the air. Put her in gear and it sounds like somewhat of a grind/rub coming from the passenger rear tire. Just changed my rear end fluid in on May 17th. Doesn't seem like the noise is coming from the center section, just the outside part by the tire. Any possible clue as to what it could be before I tear into it tomorrow?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Ok new development. Upon entering a state of boredom, I ripped her apart and found.......the parking brake is rubbing against the rotor. Not sure how as they're not engaged but the parking brake never really did work. Thank God its something I can live with.

Now for the real question, How in the hell do I fix this?

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Blog Entries

Had a blazer of mine doing the same thing a while back, except on the drivers side. Tore into it to find the seal to the axle bearing looking pretty rough and when i got the bearing out it just crumbled in my hand. So it could possibly be your axle bearing causing the trouble.

2003 Silverado 1500
    V8 4.8L 294ci
    2 inch Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    3 inch Rough Country Lift
    33 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers
    5% Tint All Around
    2 12" Kenwoods