GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2011 Sierra Crew Cab rear seat storage

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLE and was thinking about building my own under seat storage box in the rear. The ones sold are nice, but I was looking to build one half the size to keep a few small items from rolling around. Just curious if anyone attempted to do the same. Any suggestions or specifications would be appreciated!

Master Mechanic

I went for the OEM under seat storage box and it has come in pretty handy. I keep lots of cleaning products, some tools, and water in the storage box, and it was compatible from my Sierra to my Silverado. If you made something you might want to give it a rubber bottom to keep it from sliding out from underneath the seat.

I looked at the OEM storage. I like the set up and I believe it can be bolted on to the floor where the seat attaches. Thats exactly what I want, but only half. I store some items under the seat that extend out, so the front lip would be in the way. Im looking at it in the way of a speaker box in my head, behind the driver seat my storage and passenger side open floor.

Master Mechanic

What type of things would you need to store? If they are small enough they can go into the pockets of the front seats. Another idea is to keep a small container in the back of your truck in the bed area. Of course you would have to find a way to keep it from sliding around.

Along the lines of tools/ smaller equipment. A little too much for the seat pockets + the pockets are obstructed by seat covers. Id like to construct a custom fit storage box to maximize the space available. The only containers I located are too small, and the next size up prevents me from being able to put the seat down completely.

I was thinking about doing one for my 99 Sierra to go under the driver's side of the bench seat in the rear. Haven't really thought about what I want to make it out of yet though.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

So you want something like this? http://www.huskyliners.com/Gear-Box-Underseat-Storage I was working on something to go behind the rear seat till I got the cap..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

the oem one is fairly handy, i have it. if you could find one on craigslist and chop it down it would be a better fit. as far as building one goes, some 1x6 pine sanded and water sealed would work well, just need to rip it down at a angle for the seat slope. i could do it fairly easily. get some corner braces to hold it all together. maybe some 1/4 plywood for the bottom? corse, if you use the floor as the bottom and just want to keep things from rolling around, you would even need to make a bottom for it.

as far as attaching it goes, that you would have to figure out. havnt looked at mine close enough to point you in a direction for that.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I have been working on one that will be similar to the one in my sons Megacab. A friend has been drawing up a schematic that will show a DIYER how to make it.It will include a flip up shelf that will allow one to throw a sleeping bag on the back seat and take a nap.. This is one area where Dodge has a Better Idea.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Husky Liners has underseat storage. I have one and it works very well.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors