GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Paying for options your wont use

I bought a new truck last November, got a great price on the truck but since I'm a cheap SOB I still complained about some of the options included. So after all was said and done they knocked a little off the price, I think they would've done that anyways without my whining.
    The options I didnt want were Power Drivers Seat, Blue Tooth, Steering Wheel radio controls, and adjustable pedals. From my understanding these options are on almost every C/C LT Silverado and it's easier to find a truck with them than without.
    After owning the truck for 6 months my wife made an observation that the options I whined the most about paying for are the items I seem to get the most use out of, sadly she's right.
    I drove my Tacoma last week and kept thinking to myself how did I ever get along in this primitive truck?
    Anyone else complain about paying for the extra's only to find out they now cant live without them?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well the Adj Pedals I can do without.. As for power seats.. With GM you get 8way 10 way Or I think 12 way..GGzzzz How many people are going to drive YOUR truck??? I set my seat 1 time and thats it. Maybe back and forward to fold down the rear seats..Hey GM Make a leather seat that does NOT crack after 2 years of use..... With GM everything is a Package They call it Marketing.. To get the 1 Opt you want and can use you have to buy A Pkg of Opt's that you don't need or want....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

i said it here a while back, and I will say it again. i think GM could make a mint if they did it this properly

1) - start with a basic option list, all the things that a vehicle, A/C, ABS, etc.
    2) - options. I realize some things come together I.E. Z71 package comes with all terrain tires and skid plates, makes sense.
    3) - ANY single option, with anything else. you want leather, bluetooth, manual climate controls, no onstar, 4x4 in a long bed crew cab 1500, fine!

seems to me that if they expect people to pay 40k + for these new trucks, they should option them out anyway you want. I think some of the reasons they dont do this is aseembly lines would get more complex, then selling used trucks would get complicated. one thing about the present system is this, a LT or SLE truck is for sale. you have a fairly good idea what it has for options based upon the model type. my idea would make that impossible, but it would make for much more personalized trucks.

enkei wants things i dont, i want things he dosnt, so why cant we both be happy with what we got in our trucks from the factory? (assuming new) used, would be a bit more of a crap shoot, hunting for what you want. dunno, its just a thought of mine.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Well the Adj Pedals I can do without.. As for power seats.. With GM you get 8way 10 way Or I think 12 way..GGzzzz How many people are going to drive YOUR truck??? I set my seat 1 time and thats it. Maybe back and forward to fold down the rear seats..Hey GM Make a leather seat that does NOT crack after 2 years of use..... With GM everything is a Package They call it Marketing.. To get the 1 Opt you want and can use you have to buy A Pkg of Opt's that you don't need or want....
    Ya know I thought the same about the power seats and adj. pedals, but I do find myself adjusting both after time driving on longer trips, and the power makes it easier.
    My wifes HHR is 4 years old and we havnt had any problems with the seats cracking, I was expecting problems because I've had other GM products with this issue. I started using Meguiers Leather conditioner on the seats from day 1.

Idk bout options I have that I didn't want but I wish I had the dual zone climate control so when I start my truck using remote start it'll start to cool down. I never have my ac on cuz right when I get in the windows go down. It's 91 degrees here and it's only 10. Black on black gets hot

And about leather cracking. We probably have 5 trucks in my family that are leather and all of them look amazing other than a hole in mine where a friend jammed his gun into the seat.
    Last edited by ahmitchell1; 06-02-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

For about a month, I went from a 99 NBS SLT GMC back to my old truck, 97 Chevy Cheyenne...power nothing; no power seats, windows, or locks. I was happy with what I had when I went back to the 97...less things to break lol.

I had an iphone when I was 17, got rid of it and went back to a 14$ flip phone from WalMart. I guess I'm one of those people that can adapt well to what they have

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

My truck is a SLE but seems to be loaded with lots of options. I seem to use them all. The remote start is great summer and winter. The dual climate zones are neccesary seeing as me and my girl are always different temps. The back up sensors are awesome I never look back to see how much further. The blue tooth is like wow, how did I live without one? And I love the sliding back glass on a warm day with the windows down. The only option I don't seem to use is the adjustable pedals. Which might get used if my girl ever drove my truck (not going to happen). I'm glad I got all my options and extras. It's what makes the truck fabulous to me. I didn't want leather although my Tahoe had leather with heated seats and I loved those. One day my boy will go to college and I'll give him my truck, and the next one I buy will be a Denali with every option. You can beat on that!

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Blog Entries

This is why I am happy with my dumb truck (absolutely no options). Everything that I want, I have changed or added. One thing I do wish my truck had that I know some of the ones with no power options came with is cruise control. 1500 miles of constantly trying to keep speed will do that to a guy, lol.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

My Sierra is the SLT (LTZ) trim, and I LOVE every single option I have! Matter of fact, I spent a little extra than I originally was looking to just to get in the seat of this truck. (and might I say that I love the seats, full power and heated!) I use every option regularly on my truck excluding bluetooth and the adjustable pedals, so it wasn't a 'waste' of money. Some of you may remember the truck I had when I first joined the forum, it was an 06 Silverado WT with no power options.. all it had to speak of was cruise control, CD player, and dual zone climate control. Coming from a fairly bare bone Silverado to my now loaded to the teeth Sierra, I don't think I could ever go back!

And speaking of paying for options people don't use, look at the amount of 4x4 trucks and SUVs you see on the road... how many of those people do you think about USE their 4x4 to justify paying probably $3k+ for it? I for one know I hardly ever use my 4x4, save for hazardous snowy Ohio conditions. Thats an expensive option most people seem to pay for and don't use. My truck just so happened to be 4WD, so I wasn't going to turn it down. 2WD would have been fine with me.
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

The only options that were on my truck when I bought it that I don't use are ones I didn't "pay" for. It had the chrome side steps on it and I have since taken them off. When we were negotiating the price I went as high as I wanted to go and they went as low as they thought they were going to go. We were off by around $1500. So they asked what I could do without on the truck. I said the chrome grill, drop in bed liner and side steps. So they removed it from the price of the truck which brought the overall price closer to what I wanted. They than came down the additional amount to get the price where I wanted it. So the deal was done, and I left the stealership with all 3 still on my truck. They said it would cost them more to remove them than it would to just keep them on.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by