GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Parking brake question?

My parking brake has not worked right since i've had the truck.Now i notice the "dust cover" or shield is about shot.Is the only way to replace it is to pull the rear axle out?

Sr. Engineer

OK, let's start with what vehicle are we talking about. make, model, year? I have a 2000 Yukon that I have just replaced E-brake and dust shield on and tthe axle had to come out. Not a bad job but just alot of layers to get it done. Discovered bad axle bearing while at it too.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Sorry,should have said 2002 silverado.Pulling the axle is what i figured by looking at it.I figure if i'm doing one side i should do both?Are the bearings a press fit and how hard will it be to do.Thanks

Sr. Engineer

I have not changed the bearing yet as I have not decided whether to replace axle and OEM style bearing or try a "repair" bearing. The original reason that I was taking axle out for was to replace the axle seal. I understand the bearings will require a slide hammer to get them out but not a press fit. parking brake shoes cost me 26.00 a side and not sold in pairs and O'Reilly's had the dust shields "dorman" for 19.00 each. And, yes, do them both if you can since you'll only have to fill the differential once and if yours takes synthetic lube that is about $50 bucks a pop.

Master Mechanic

They sell ones that are two piece and you don't have to remove the rear axle. Idk if they fit or not but heres the link.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-924-213/
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Does anyone know if the two piece plates work or know anyone who has used them?

Sr. Engineer

I looked at the two peice and considered it for awhile but decided against it. Here's why, more work and more difficult. The axle is in your way and you have to find a way to cut the old plate off. The parking brake has to come apart and is a PITA with axle in but is doable. And then there are the bolts that hold the back plate to the axle housing of which the dust shield is sandwiched between, not alot of clearance. And then you have to put it all back together with the AXLE in your way. No thanks! I predict gnashing of teeth and woe with the two piece. Pulling the axle is much easier than you may think.

If GM thought they were needed why did they do such a crappy job creating them?
    None of my trucks held together except my offroad vehicle were I dont need it! Figures
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

As i've heard other places ,my parking brake has only worked half the time i've owned the truck and an thinking of not even doing it and buy a good wheel chouck for launching the boat.

Sr. Engineer

LOL. Don't have to worry about driving off with the E-brake on with that option.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by