GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Might buy a 2002 with 44k miles - Opinions?

Hello all. I am looking at a Silverado LS 2500HD 4x4 Crew cab. It is in "cream puff" condition with only 44,500 miles. It has maintenance records indicating oil changes EVERY 3000 miles (really!)and it's had a recent transmission fluid flush. All this sounds great but the seller is also commanding what I think might be a premium price... he won't go below 16,200. He's the original owner and he's not in a rush to sell.

What do you think? Good deal? Too expensive? Is there anything I should be aware of on this model?

I have a 02 1500 with 51,000 miles on it, so if I would try to sell my truck that would be the range I would like to get for it. The things making the truck you're looking at a decent price is the 44,000 miles, the 3,000 mile oil changes, the great condition, the one owner. The only things that are working against you is the 10 yr old truck (which isnt really bad) and that the owner isnt in a rush to sell. IMO I say buy.
    Last edited by ChromeSilver02; 06-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

The Blue book value in my zip code for that truck, Fully loaded, (leather, dvd, premium sound, ect.) is $16,200 for "very good" condition.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

The mileage is low and the maintenance is good. The price is also fair per the Kelly BB value ... however the seller has failed to adjust that price for fuel costs. Gas-guzzling vehicles just aren't selling well right now due to fuel prices and the poor econony. However, since the seller is in no rush to sell, rest assured, someone -will- buy the truck at that price given the mileage and condition you describe. The question is will it be you?

Personally, I wouldn't pay a premium for low miles like that. Low miles may mean it's sat undriven for long periods. Low miles also commands a premium in the truck world and, frankly, getting a mechanically sound, good condition truck with 100-140k miles will save you -thousands- ... which you may pocket. Should something major (engine or tranny) fail, the thousands you saved can be used to affect the repair and then you have a new tranny/engine with a warranty on it. But that's my approach, as I've seen way too many people and dealerships ask ridiculous money on low-mileage used vehicles.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 06-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    The Blue book value in my zip code for that truck, Fully loaded, (leather, dvd, premium sound, ect.) is $16,200 for "very good" condition.

The truck I'm considering has the standard sound, cloth seats, and no DVD. The owner is definitely proud of it... but everything else in that price range has 100k + miles and has been "used like a truck".

100k miles is nothing to fear if maintenance has been good; these are easily 300k mile trucks. Sure, there will be minor issues or the unusual lemon, but with proper maintenance and use of only qualified people (including your own qualified skill) to do work/make changes, these trucks will run a long, long time.

My 04 Sierra SLT had 133K miles on it when I bought it. It was no garage queen and had issues that needed to be fixed, however, I paid 5k under KBB at the time. It also had 3k in toys (CAI, lift, spray-in bed liner) that I would have had to buy, myself, if it didn't already have them or had they not been done well. Together, these things made it very palatable to buy the truck I now own ... and I could put in effort/cash to get it how I wanted it without conscience since I got it so far under its KBB value.

I also looked every day for 2+ months on Craiglist and at dealerships -- across a 200 mile radius -- to find the vehicle I wanted. I must've looked at two dozen or so trucks, in person, before picking this one. I mention this because if you're not in a hurry and can take your time, then patience, determination, and high gas prices should work in your favor.

If you need something right now and you like the truck you're looking at (and the others are dogs by comparison), then perhaps pounce on it.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 06-01-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    ... however the seller has failed to adjust that price for fuel costs. Gas-guzzling vehicles just aren't selling well right now due to fuel prices and the poor econony. However, since the seller is in no rush to sell, rest assured, someone -will- buy the truck at that price given the mileage and condition you describe. The question is will it be you?

Personally, I wouldn't pay a premium for low miles like that. Low miles may mean it's sat undriven for long periods. Low miles also commands a premium in the truck world and, frankly, getting a mechanically sound, good condition truck with 100-140k miles will save you -thousands- ...
    I agree with @SurrealOne, I think that his price is a little high to start with, and he did not adjust for fuel prices. An example for you: Last summer when I bought my yukon xl, the average price for the mileage that I was looking at was $14000. 10 months later I can get a yukon xl with less miles, more options, a year or two newer, for $8000-11000. Everyone is looking to dump them after the fuel prices went up.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Low mileage isnt always a good thing! Price always depends on how bad you want it! Good luck
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta