GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Drake_korthos View Post
    Gear changes are great, however keeping a budget of $1K in mind you're lookin at 2-3 of the other options (depending on the price you can find!). IMO exhaust, CAI, and a tuner will be the easiest to do. Depending on how savvy you are mechanically, you can install all of this on your own (I was able to do the intake and programmer on my own, and I'm a pretty big n00b). As far as brands K&N and Volant are good intakes, I prefer Magnaflow for exhaust, and a SuperChips flashpaq programmer will run you about $380 (just helped my grandfather with his). Good luck on your search and let us know what ya finally decide on!
    You will never get the benefit out of all of that stuff that you will get from re-gearing alone. 3:42 gears were never meant to be used on a tow vehicle. they are for fuel economy, and satisfying the EPA. Towing a heavy load with 3:42 gears is a great way to stress and overheat your transmission. Them 4L60s ain't cheap either! (Also, MAKE SURE to put on an auxiliary transmission cooler if it doesn't already have one... assuming that you have an automatic tranny.)
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Larry, I'm going to come out and ask what specific truck do you have? You said a 2008 with a 5.3. Is it a Reg cab, ext cab, crew? Does it have the HD tow package? Is the 7000# the dry weight or the wet for the trailer?
    I checked the owners manual online for your truck and it's about the same as mine. A 7000# trailer for a 1500 with 3.43 gears is at or over the GCWR for your truck depending on which model.

I agree with SurrealOne. Upgrade gears and a tune and it will give you the power and safety to tow what you have.
    Contact @
    06MonteSS he does custom programs using the Diablo Sport tuner, his price is only $485 for 3 custom tunes which isn't bad. http://intune.diablewtune.com/ . Gears for a 2wd from a good shop are probably going to cost anywhere between $700 + depending on the brand of gears and shop labor rates for your area. The quote I received was around $800 out the door for the gear change.
    2006 Silverado Crewcab 5.3l, has a modified airbox with drop-in filter.
    Mods to come:
    Exhaust
    Tune
    Suspension
    More power!

I agree that your best bet is a gear change, the exhaust and intake will only make more noise but very little power improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that your best bet is a gear change, the exhaust and intake will only make more noise but very little power improvement.

Gear Change and Tuner will give you the most "Bang for the Buck", but be willing to spend more $$.
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dbb06 View Post
    Larry, I'm going to come out and ask what specific truck do you have? You said a 2008 with a 5.3. Is it a Reg cab, ext cab, crew? Does it have the HD tow package? Is the 7000# the dry weight or the wet for the trailer?
    I checked the owners manual online for your truck and it's about the same as mine. A 7000# trailer for a 1500 with 3.43 gears is at or over the GCWR for your truck depending on which model.

I agree with SurrealOne. Upgrade gears and a tune and it will give you the power and safety to tow what you have.
    Contact @
    06MonteSS he does custom programs using the Diablo Sport tuner, his price is only $485 for 3 custom tunes which isn't bad. http://intune.diablewtune.com/ . Gears for a 2wd from a good shop are probably going to cost anywhere between $700 + depending on the brand of gears and shop labor rates for your area. The quote I received was around $800 out the door for the gear change.
    Larry asking this question was last on the forum in Sept 2012. He only posted this one post question and has not returned.

Sr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    Larry asking this question was last on the forum in Sept 2012. He only posted this one post question and has not returned.
    That is too much trailer for that truck. I don't care if it's regeared or not, he will be over his GVWR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12