GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Intermittent DIC message "BATTERY NOT CHARGING"

When I crank up my 2003 Chev Suburban Z71 (or while driving) the “BATTERY NOT CHARGING” message shows up on the DIC, and once in a while the “SERVICE BRAKE BOOSTER" message will follow. This is random, and usually starts cycling off and on for 20 or 30 minutes, then it might quit for the rest of the drive. After stopping at a destination, it will then restart after I crank up again, and the same thing happens all over again.

Odd that it is intermittent if the alternator is bad. Could it possibly be Powertrain Control Module going bad? Any ideas? Would the alternator show "bad" if the Powertrain Control Module was failing?

And if it is the Powertrain Control Module, is it a difficult task to replace it?

Sure do appreciate an opinion on this...I'm just not able to afford to start randomly replacing parts that don't need replacing, and would really like to know how to get a handle on the problem. Thanks all.
    Last edited by lawman1947; 06-03-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: message was perhaps confusing

Legend

Blog Entries

I can't answer as to why it would be intermittent, but you can get your alternator tested for free at most major automotive parts stores. Additionally, they should be able to scan your vehicle for trouble codes, which will also be helpful in diagnosing your problem(s).

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

When it reports that the battery is not charging, what is the voltage indicated by the voltage gauge? Is it somewhere around 12 volts, or somewhere around 14 volts? 14 volts would indicate the alternator is charging, but the computer isn't recognizing it for some reason. 12 volts indicates that the alternator is actually not charging. Do you have a digital multimeter? If so, check the voltage at the battery.

After verifying whether the computer is telling the truth or not, we need to figure out why it's thinking it's not. The most likely reason is broken, chafed, or loose connections around the alternator. There should be 2 or 3 wires going to the alternator in 1 connector. Those wires turn the alternator on and power indicator lights and such. Double-check to make sure the connection's good and tight and the wires aren't broken or grounded out to anything.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Thanks...I noted that the voltmeter showed around 12 volts, so I assumed it was a bad alternator. But when checking connections under the hood, I noted two loose connections. AFter tightening them up, started the Suburban and it showed 14+volts, and no more messages on the DIC. Sure do appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    When it reports that the battery is not charging, what is the voltage indicated by the voltage gauge? Is it somewhere around 12 volts, or somewhere around 14 volts? 14 volts would indicate the alternator is charging, but the computer isn't recognizing it for some reason. 12 volts indicates that the alternator is actually not charging. Do you have a digital multimeter? If so, check the voltage at the battery.

After verifying whether the computer is telling the truth or not, we need to figure out why it's thinking it's not. The most likely reason is broken, chafed, or loose connections around the alternator. There should be 2 or 3 wires going to the alternator in 1 connector. Those wires turn the alternator on and power indicator lights and such. Double-check to make sure the connection's good and tight and the wires aren't broken or grounded out to anything.

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issues. Do you know what that 2 loose connections were for? Were they thick heavy-gauge wires or thin ones?
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage