GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default My 89 gmc repair thread

My truck hates me right now. I keep finding more and more broken stuff on it.
    About 3 months ago the tranny in my truck quit shifting above 2 gear and I was at school so it sat around for awhile. When I got home two weeks ago I moved it and started to lose my brakes :banghead3 just my luck. It appears that I may have got water in my brake fluid somehow and/or my master cylinder is going bad.
    I started to get the truck up in blocks so I could pull the tranny and then I found the driver side u-bolts are both broken so I am going to replace all four while I'm fixing most of the broken stuff.
    I will update this and add more as I fix stuff or find more broken stuff

OOO that blows. Seems like everything tends to go at once though.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

I started to work on getting the tranny out. I got the rear driveshaft out and then tried to remove the front driveshaft from the transfer case. Unfortunately though when I had the front seal replaced last year they used and impact gun to put the bolts in and really really torqued then down. I couldn't even budge them with the ratchet and a small breaker bar.

You need a big breaker bar and a long cheater pipe. But give them a nice bath of PB Blaster or something first.

Just call it a project and start from ground up. It appears there is much rust so replacing and painting may be the best thing for the old girl.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"