GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I was at the local gun store and saw this and I am thinking of getting it. A little 31" .22LR single shot bolt action.
    GREAT first rifle for any kid in my opinion! It's a single shot and also has to be cocked once it's loaded. It teaches them alot about shot selection and safety. I got that very gun for my daughter soon after she got her Heritage Rough Rider. It's a Crickett rifle made by these guys http://www.crickett.com/
    They have a good variety of them to choose from, but the pink was too cute for me not to pick up for her.
    I also got her a scope, carrying case, sling, hunting shirt and a few other trinkets to go along with it. It used to be her favorite gun even though it's a single shot. But once I got her the Henry .22, it instantly became her new favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I think its great. I started teaching my daughter gun safety at 4 and she started shooting bb guns shortly after. she actually likes the BB rifle better than the pistol because of the trigger pull. She hasnt shot the .22 yet as she cant hold the rifle by herself yet and being where we currently live the only place to shoot is at a range and she isnt old enough (we do the BB gun in the back yard though). I was at the local gun store and saw this and I am thinking of getting it. A little 31" .22LR single shot bolt action.
    My niece (8) has the pink one. I bought a little scope for it and it shoots dead on accurate. I like shooting hers more than mine (Winchester 67A and a Remington 552 Speedmaster) as its much more compact and light weight.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

another fun little gun is a model 93 savage in .17 HMR. I have one, bolt action, 5 round mag, and is it ever a tack driver. accurate as all get out, its like a .22 on steroids. based of a .22 WMR, which is in turn based of a .22 mag.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Those 17's are great flat trajectory rounds! Only problem is if the wind is blowing at all you have to make a lot of adjustments.

eh, depends on the wind and range. ive done shots >25 yards with pretty bad cross winds. just have to be smart about it, and not get crazy on the range your trying to shoot.

Alex

I hear ya Sierra......I was basically talking about varmit shooting. And most of that is done at decent distances.

My Winchester 67A isn't exactly dead on accurate (pre '38). Needs to be actually sighted in. Now that Speedmaster I got, I've hit squirrels with it in the head from 50 yards through the woods. Talk about a accurate rifle.

Sounds like a good little rifle riley. But the shooter tends to be more important than the gun usually.
    I've "smithed" more guns than I'll ever be able to remember.....And I can tell you that "most" guns are basically the same thing. It's only when you get into serious marksmanship shooting that upgrades will start making a difference. And even then the mods makes changes in small increments.

thats so true ape. to me a good gun is one you are comfortable with. for most people, a 500 dollar rifle and a 5000 dollar rifle will shoot mostly the same.

ive been itching to get a .223, either in a AR platform, or in another bolt action. the other thing Id like to get is a pump rifle of some sort. .30-.30 maybe?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    thats so true ape. to me a good gun is one you are comfortable with. for most people, a 500 dollar rifle and a 5000 dollar rifle will shoot mostly the same.

ive been itching to get a .223, either in a AR platform, or in another bolt action. the other thing Id like to get is a pump rifle of some sort. .30-.30 maybe?

Alex
    You can build an AR these days for 600 or less. I've built 4 now, one for me and 3 for other people. It's actually an easy thing to do these days with all the info on the net. Plus it's nice because you can make the gun fit your needs and wants exactly instead of buying something off the shelf that's close enough to what you want.
    As far as the "pump" gun is concerned....Are you talking an actual pump? Or did you mean a lever action?