GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: dave46 help

Default dave46 help

2002 silverado 1500 4.8 v/8 knock sensors are seized .cant get them sobs out. socket just slips . any good advice out there ????

Sr. Engineer

Welcome to the club! Sorry but I do not have any first hand experience with the knock sensors. Are they raised so as to be able to get something around it such as vice grips or small pipe wrench? Aside from getting a better fitting socket and soaking it with Liquid Wrench (my favorite) I have no better suggestion.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Not sure about the newer sensors, but the older ones are raised. My question is, are you using a six point socket on the sender? Just to be sure, a six point socket is one that has only six points or corners on the inside, it looks just like the nut it fits. Otherwise, you could try a Flank drive socket, those are designed to work off the flats of the nut. You may have to order one from Snap-on. Otherwise, As stated by Dpeter, a pipe wrench or vise grip pliers are about it. I'm wondering how they all got rounded, and so tight in the first place. Sounds like somebody messed up big. Good luck Dave.
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

This is a tuffy. I replaced mine this past winter on my 03 5.3, due to excessive pressure washing by yours truly. Standing water was down in the bores. The only think I can think to do is to tap with a hammer to try to work threads loose. Don't get crazy just a few taps. x2 on the six point socket. Or take a pair of vise grips vertically and then turn with channel locks or something like that. Might need to get needle nose type vise grips good luck.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"