GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Intake Manifold leaking antifreeze - advice needed about repair

Hello all. My '98 Silverado (5 liter, V-8, 142k miles) is leaking a small amount of antifreeze at the intake manifold. I'm pretty sure I have some oil showing up on my radiator, too - or it realy needs to be flushed. I'm a pretty good weekend mechanic, but this will be getting into something I've never done. It sounds easy enough - get everything out of the way, remove probably 6 or 8 bolts that hold the intake manifold on the engine, get the old gasket off and clean that surface, install new gasket and use a torque wrench to reinstall intake manifold. Suggestions? Am I on the right track? Hopefully I don't also have to remove valve covers or anything else? I didn't see any threads here addressing this, but I am wiling to do plenty of research before I began rather than screw something up.

Other thing I'm wondering about is: products on the market, i.e., "Thermagasket" and others. I'm concerned that although these products might fix my leak, isn't there a good possibility that they'll gum-up other parts like maybe my water pump?

Thanks for your help.

Where do you have antifreeze on the intake? Can you take a picture? If it is all original, it is unlikely to get an antifreeze leak there,, unless things are so corroded that metal/aluminum has eaten away enough. It is likely a heater hose connection, thermostat housing or radiator hose.

If you do pull the intake, you are on track with your thoughts above, but it is usually easier to do with valve covers off. You also need to pull the distributor.
    Mark
    89 K Blazer 4" lift 35x12.5x15, warn hubs, cut out flares. Soon to have headers, posi carriers, gears.
    2000 K2500 Crew Cab 5.7 285/75R16's. 3" Body lift. Suspension parts being ordered.
    Lots more to do on both the trucks

And a bunch of fast Buicks

The antifreeze I see is in the front, underneath the thermostat housing. The guy that inspected the truck in December also told me antifreeze was leaking at the "intake." Maybe it is an easier repair and I'm anticipating worse case scenario. I can take a pic, but not sure how good it wil turn out. Is there a way to figure this out or no I need to just start taking stuff off until I figure it out?

It is probably the common intake gasket failure caused by extended life coolant. The EL coolant eats the gasket material over time. Don't ever use any kind of "leak sealer" on ANYTHING... EVER!

It is not that big of a deal to do the intake gasket. If you have never done one before, make sure to take note of how everything comes apart and make every effort to put everything back without haveing any "spare parts" left over when you are done. Take your time and pay attention to what you are doing and you should be fine.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

If it is under your thermostat housing, I would start with pulling the thermostat, replacing with new one and re-gasket that. Also, check your thermostat housing for corrosion, and your radiator hose.

In fact, you might try tightening your upper radiator hose anyway. I have seen plenty of them leak a little that would drip down the thermostat housing and to top front of engine.

if you do end up replacing the gaskets make sure you get the new updated green ones ;0
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Intake gaskets are easy. Just be easy on it if it's a two piece manifold. 10 INCH pounds to hold down the upper piece.
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT 4.3
    1984 C20 'burban 454
    1963 C10 283
    One lead foot
    Two hands that turn a steering wheel very quickly and very well.